Tampa Hurricane tiem!

Tennessee and Kentucky are pretty damn beautiful too. And cheap, I think.
Some parts of Tennessee are not. I've looked into it. Nashville is just a mini-Austin but it's "sphere of influence" is yuge.

Parts of Kentucky are real nice but again if you get outside the sphere of influence of major cities the choices get constricted geographically as well as economically.

Yes, I'm looking at places to move. It kinda sucks finding the right blend of enough of a city for the shit you need, be it economic activity or medical care or just choices beyond dollar general and walmart and also has some sort of arts community, etc. Combined with small town atmosphere and 20-30 minutes drive puts you out in the sticks where there's little or no codes and regulations and shit, etc.

Basically the prettiest places in "the south" are predominately poverty or low economic vibrancy plus meth dens and the pretty places in the north have all been ruined by rich folk from the cities buying up places out there and driving prices up.

When I went back home a couple weeks ago I found the grain elevator I used to drive my tractor to (unsupervised, operating heavy machinery, as an 8 year old. Try that nowadays) is no longer a place for farmers to sell their grain. It's now a "craft distillery". And the railroad track running alongside it where trains loaded up the grain has been decommissioned and is now part of a county-wide system of nature walk trails or some shit.

I thought the distillery part was kinda cool but still....

Basically the prettiest places in "the south" are predominately poverty or low economic vibrancy plus meth dens and the pretty places in the north have all been ruined by rich folk from the cities buying up places out there and driving prices up.

When I went back home a couple weeks ago I found the grain elevator I used to drive my tractor to (unsupervised, operating heavy machinery, as an 8 year old. Try that nowadays) is no longer a place for farmers to sell their grain. It's now a "craft distillery". And the railroad track running alongside it where trains loaded up the grain has been decommissioned and is now part of a county-wide system of nature walk trails or some shit.

There is always vermont, o to live own by the river in a van and own as many machine guns as I want

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and Josh

They did that where I used to live too. There were traintracks along a creek that abutted a park and the county pool but all the kiids used the traintracks as a path. The train company owned all the land cause it was a valley. They were never used, they went to a paper mill that closed. So for all the 90s every kid in town used it as a shortcut.

Some years later after I moved they made it into a nature walk.

I think operating heavy equipment as a minor is normal? I dont know, Also the adjust while running equipment... literally and figuratively sorts out the wheat from the chaff.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
They did that where I used to live too. There were traintracks along a creek that abutted a park and the county pool but all the kiids used the traintracks as a path. The train company owned all the land cause it was a valley. They were never used, they went to a paper mill that closed. So for all the 90s every kid in town used it as a shortcut.

Some years later after I moved they made it into a nature walk.

I think operating heavy equipment as a minor is normal? I dont know, Also the adjust while running equipment... literally and figuratively sorts out the wheat from the chaff.
If it's not normal it should be. Darwinism doesn't work if you keep nurturing the stupid and the weak.

The farm equipment we had in the 70s & 80s was all built in like the 50s. There were no guards or safety shields. Lots of spinning stuff and belts and chains all right out in the open. As it should be, easy to work on

Some parts of Tennessee are not. I've looked into it. Nashville is just a mini-Austin but it's "sphere of influence" is yuge.

Parts of Kentucky are real nice but again if you get outside the sphere of influence of major cities the choices get constricted geographically as well as economically.

Yes, I'm looking at places to move. It kinda sucks finding the right blend of enough of a city for the shit you need, be it economic activity or medical care or just choices beyond dollar general and walmart and also has some sort of arts community, etc. Combined with small town atmosphere and 20-30 minutes drive puts you out in the sticks where there's little or no codes and regulations and shit, etc.
We'll be moving to the Austin area in the next couple of years, so plan accordingly...

I mean if you wanted to go pricey Annapolis is just like that, you're like 40 minutes from DC or Baltimore but if you got a house in Davidsonville (it's the town to the south) it's all farms and Annapolis itself is actually has a super small town feel. Bit of a latin community on the south side. Also lotta military near the naval academy.

Ithaca NY is also like that, Ivy League college town. Basically in the middle of nowhere. The price of living there is WAY lower than MD, you could buy a house for 50k. It is about 5 hours from NYC.

I mean if you wanted to go pricey Annapolis is just like that, you're like 40 minutes from DC or Baltimore but if you got a house in Davidsonville (it's the town to the south) it's all farms and Annapolis itself is actually has a super small town feel. Bit of a latin community on the south side. Also lotta military near the naval academy.

Ithaca NY is also like that, Ivy League college town. Basically in the middle of nowhere. The price of living there is WAY lower than MD, you could buy a house for 50k. It is about 5 hours from NYC.
Yeah, check out the gem of a home you can get for $50k in Ithaca! https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/312-S-Plain-St-Ithaca-NY-14850/32812918_zpid/

I would, if I didn't have to take out an additional mortgage for new plywood subfloors.
There's sawmills that people operate on their farms around there. You could do it with roughcut 1x6s.

That's actually in a really nice location btw. It's like three blocks from downtown and within walking distance of the university. You could make it into a duplex and rent it out to students.