Hooker didn't blow you? Shoot her. [Texas]

Your second sentence has nothing to do with the first. Those civil war pensions are survivor benefits, not to people who were alive during the war.

Texas was not a frontier state at the beginning of the 1900s. Nor was California, Oregon, or Washington. A century ago is pretty far back when we're talking about outdated modes of thinking that don't apply in a modern society.

While true it doesn't mean that their descendants can't have the same mind set. The Balkans are full of hatred between groups that go back several centuries because of something that happened during the Middle-Ages.

The mindset that you should kill someone who has slighted you??? Come on man, stop sniffing the Tea Party paint thinner. That shit aint right and you know it.

Your second sentence has nothing to do with the first. Those civil war pensions are survivor benefits, not to people who were alive during the war.

Texas was not a frontier state at the beginning of the 1900s. Nor was California, Oregon, or Washington. A century ago is pretty far back when we're talking about outdated modes of thinking that don't apply in a modern society.

My second sentence shows that a war that ended 150+ years ago is still directly affecting lives in today's world. It has everything to do with the first sentence.

And you are extremely optimistic about the length of time necessary to change social values, especially in a place that doesn't want to change.
As an example of that, Martin Luther King Jr was shot 8 days shy of the 107th anniversary of the start of the Civil War, and in today's world America (not just the south) still has not completely eradicated race driven inequality.

A century is literally the blink of an eye in changing cultural and social beliefs.

Things are very different in proud, frontier states. People hold onto the past with an iron grip. It's hard to give up that independence and self sufficiency and desire to be able to protect yourselves when the law is unable to do it for you.

I don't necessarily agree with it either, under all circumstances, but sometimes I'm glad it exists. And I don't expect that it will exist forever. Times change, and so do attitudes.

I forgot how true this was because I lived in the east for so long. Once I moved back out to the west I remembered how different it is.

Lets get to the heart of the issue though. Do any of you believe that someone should be able to take another person's life for the simple act of stealing $150?

Lets get to the heart of the issue though. Do any of you believe that someone should be able to take another person's life for the simple act of stealing $150?

I doubt that any of us here think that is enough money to kill someone over, but I can think of a few life situations one might get into where that might seem like enough to justify killing someone

My second sentence shows that a war that ended 150+ years ago is still directly affecting lives in today's world. It has everything to do with the first sentence.

And you are extremely optimistic about the length of time necessary to change social values, especially in a place that doesn't want to change.
As an example of that, Martin Luther King Jr was shot 8 days shy of the 107th anniversary of the start of the Civil War, and in today's world America (not just the south) still has not completely eradicated race driven inequality.

A century is literally the blink of an eye in changing cultural and social beliefs.

By extension.

The fact that the place doesn't want to change is not something to excuse.

In a single century can see many shifts in cultural and social beliefs. But the "frontier mindset" is not something that anyone in those states has any right to have since none of them lived during a time when their states were frontiers.

Either way, what's more important is that shooting someone over a theft is completely unjustified.

Last edited:
If I was homeless I would consider it a lot more than where I am at now.

I doubt that any of us here think that is enough money to kill someone over, but I can think of a few life situations one might get into where that might seem like enough to justify killing someone

There is no valid justification for murder as the reply for stealing.

By extension.

The fact that the place doesn't want to change is not something to excuse.

In a single century can see many shifts in cultural and social beliefs. But the "frontier mindset" is not something that anyone in those states has any right to have since none of them lived during a time when their states were frontiers.

Either way, what's more important is that shooting someone over a theft is completely unjustified.

I never said that it should be excused, I never even said the mindset should still currently exist, all I said was I understand why it still does.
Unfortunately a lot of mindsets that should not exist still do.

Also, just as a curiosity, do you feel the same way about the phrase African American?

And I would disagree with the blanket statement about shooting someone over theft. In this case it should have been unjustified though

I never said that it should be excused, I never even said the mindset should still currently exist, all I said was I understand why it still does.
Unfortunately a lot of mindsets that should not exist still do.

Also, just as a curiosity, do you feel the same way about the phrase African American?

And I would disagree with the blanket statement about shooting someone over theft. In this case it should have been unjustified though

Unless it's the theft of something like, oh I dunno, a child...then I stand by my blanket statement.

The bar for taking life is generally defending your own. Anything less than that, and you're a god damned ape.

I can think of a couple situations where, if the only way to stop someone from doing ______, is to shoot them that I would.
Would I be sick afterwards? Yup.
Would I go to jail? Depends on the lawyers.

Ook ook, I guess.