WTF Holy Oil Spill

Oh, you guys are followers, not leaders. Got it.

trolls-doll-red-hair-700670.jpg

No one's asked this question before. So I will.

Should off shore oil rigs be banned from US waters?

I don't think so. We all know that catastrophes could result from our industrial pursuits. The key is to have procedures in place for when they do. It is very rare that a rig blows up and sinks, causing the well beneath to hemorrhage oil uncontrollably and devastate ecosystems and the environment. It simply never happens. So the first instance always seems terrible and incomprehensible and fosters many kneejerk reactions. But those accidents are also where we get new protocols from, and allow us to hone our emergency procedures. Lastly, like it or not we need the oil the rigs provide for a number of reasons, and even monumental accidents shouldn't stop us from pursuing it.

Last edited:
I don't think so. We all know that catastrophes could result from our industrial pursuits. The key is to have procedures in place for when they do. It is very rare that a rig blows up and sinks, causing the well beneath to hemorrhage oil uncontrollably and devastate ecosystems and the environment. It simply never happens. So the first instance always seems terrible and incomprehensible and fosters many kneejerk reactions. But those accidents are also where we get new protocols from, and allow us to hone our emergency procedures. Lastly, like it or not we need the oil the rigs provide for a number of reasons, and even monumental accidents shouldn't stop us from pursuing it.

Well thank you for a very well thought out answer :)