Ontopic Healthcare.gov

Not always. I have a friend who literally just took his last pill on Monday. He's been on it for 6 months. It was a bit iffy for a while because his insurance didn't approve the drugs he needed. We thought he wasn't going to be able to get them. After they managed to prove he most likely got hep in a VA hospital things changed and the govt paid for the meds.

They are expensive because it costs billions to develop the drugs and there simply aren't that many people with hep c. Other places get them cheaper because of charity and negotiated rates bur that just means we Americans have to eat more of the costs. It sucks, but the drug companies do have to try to recoup their outlays. This is not to say they can't be greedy bastards, but in this instance, after months of research trying to help save my good friend's life, the facts are that right now those drugs are actually priced reasonably.
Yeah, the new race is to discover cures to rare drugs because they can charge $30k/mo. This guy was telling me that one of the Big Pharmas bought one of the Hep C drugs for like $11B from a smaller research company.

:case:

Not always. I have a friend who literally just took his last pill on Monday. He's been on it for 6 months. It was a bit iffy for a while because his insurance didn't approve the drugs he needed. We thought he wasn't going to be able to get them. After they managed to prove he most likely got hep in a VA hospital things changed and the govt paid for the meds.

They are expensive because it costs billions to develop the drugs and there simply aren't that many people with hep c. Other places get them cheaper because of charity and negotiated rates bur that just means we Americans have to eat more of the costs. It sucks, but the drug companies do have to try to recoup their outlays. This is not to say they can't be greedy bastards, but in this instance, after months of research trying to help save my good friend's life, the facts are that right now those drugs are actually priced reasonably.

4.2 million people have acute Hep C. thats straight from the CDC.

30,000 cure * 4,200,000 people that need it, $126,000,000,000. One Hunded and Twenty Six trillion.

Somehow i doubt the drug companies spent double the entire worlds yearly GDP on developing it.

4.2 million people have acute Hep C. thats straight from the CDC.

30,000 cure * 4,200,000 people that need it, $126,000,000,000. One Hunded and Twenty Six trillion.

Somehow i doubt the drug companies spent double the entire worlds yearly GDP on developing it.
Not all of them have the type of hep c that can benefit from the new drug. And not all of those people qualify for the drug because they are not in a position to be able to take it, their disease is too advanced, or they have other diseases that disqualify them, like AIDs.

Not all of them have the type of hep c that can benefit from the new drug. And not all of those people qualify for the drug because they are not in a position to be able to take it, their disease is too advanced, or they have other diseases that disqualify them, like AIDs.

do more than half of those people meet those conditions? A quarter? 90%?

Even if its 90% who DONT meet the conditions for the drug, the drug company still reaps massive massive profits.

do more than half of those people meet those conditions? A quarter? 90%?

Even if its 90% who DONT meet the conditions for the drug, the drug company still reaps massive massive profits.
Last quarter they made 2.2 billion off the drug that has only been on the common market for one quarter. They have not yet recouped their costs for it. There is another problem I failed to mention...the drug is not covered by medicare and medicaid, so a lot of the people with hep will not have access to it until that changes because about 50% of people with hep c are either on medicaid/medicare or in prison. I'm not arguing that the drug company doesn't stand to make huge profits on it, but they haven't yet and demand is already slowing down. I imagine if medicare/medicaid pick it up it will be for a much lower negotiated price. Not to mention all the free or seriously reduced cost doses of the medicine that have been shipped to help people overseas, I'd say for now we should leave the hard working scientists and manufactures of this drug alone.

With full support of "the stupidity of the American voter," the vast majority of people now using their insurance policies to actually get healthcare, have had their costs jacked so much they'll have to cut back on their own healthcare because we knew you morons wouldn't understand what we really meant by 'massive government electronic database so everything about you is everywhere and we're lowering your costs $2500 a year' so we can:
banning denying coverage for pre-existing conditions, widely opening the ability for low-income and disabled people to get medicare, and cost-free preventative services, as well as anti-recinding clauses are huge among other things

http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/facts/timeline/timeline-text.html

tons of big healthcare policy changes.

My favorite line from the SOTU

"And in the past year alone, about ten million uninsured Americans finally gained the security of health coverage" Hey, stupid American voters, we know, we know, that sounds like we're making headway. And you applausing let's us know we can keep blowing smoke up your asses! You'll never be able to use the coverage due to prohibitive costs!!!! Just like before!!!!!! Aaahahahah, AAAAAhahahaha, Muaaahahahahaaaaaa!

or, y'know, people shouldn't have to pay to get any kind of medical care, including preventative. that's the right way for a civilized nation to handle things, not make someone's health dependent on their net worth.

health care, like education, should be considered a basic human right

dude, it's comments like that that let me wonder how you go right off the tracks. :lol:

Shouldn't food and shelter come way before that in your grand, 'off the tracks' plan???

f9FW2.gif

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
my brain is mush this week, ive been working 10ish hours every day after work on remodeling the bathroom.

How much of that r&d was done by and paid for by our universities?
The way I understand it, the initial research was done at Emory and then big pharma picked up the tab to get it finished and through trials and FDA approval and manufacturing and then bigger pharma bought it for 11 billion dollars. Clearly they intend to make more than that on the drug.

Also, I was wrong, the drug has now been on the market for a year. It's the even newer combo drug that's only been around for a couple months.

none. Its not a pretty "i want it to look nice" remodel. Its a "shit, the previous owners sucked at everything, and it needs fixing now" remodel.

The tub cracked, all the plumbing was absolute shit, they cut all kinds of second floor joists and the floor was rotting. It gutted down to the studs, and im rebuilding the floor, thats as far as ive got.

Did i mention its our only bathroom and we've been without water for almost a week?