FYI Happy Thanksgiving!

When I was a kid (and we weren’t even poor) we “celebrated” Christmas during the week after Christmas a couple of years, so we could save money on presents.

It was after the oldest bunch had to buy their own gifts to give, so it made sense.
Before the stores became nazi's about it, my p's would give us the receipts for everything so we could go back to the stores between xmas & new years & get the 'cash' back for everything that was now on super sale. I guess for my p's it made sense. Get us kids out of the house for several hours waiting in giant customer service lines for a few bucks. :lol:

Last edited:
Before the stores became nazi's about it, my p's would give us the receipts for everything so we could go back to the stores between xmas & new years & get the 'cash' back for everything that was now on super sale. I guess for my p's it made sense. Get us kids out of the house for several hours waiting in giant customer service lines for a few bucks. :lol:
They were tired of you kids listening at the door while they were banging so they purposely bought the stuff the salespeople told them, "you know, this will be on sale next week . ." "Martha, buy one for each kid on a separate receipt -stat woman!"

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
Discover's price guarantee thing used to be sweet (as recently as last year). Find a black friday price that you want. Buy it two weeks before, then file a price match claim with Discover. I assume that they caught on that consumers caught on and cancelled it.

Discover's price guarantee thing used to be sweet (as recently as last year). Find a black friday price that you want. Buy it two weeks before, then file a price match claim with Discover. I assume that they caught on that consumers caught on and cancelled it.
So important for decent inventory/size selection!

Macy's used to be great too. I've got all kinds of cashmere hats/gloves/scarves/sweaters stuff bought in mid-Jan from the giant store downtown chicago, and just after March 1 when it would all go on clearance I could get the savings back on their credit card.

So important for decent inventory/size selection!

Macy's used to be great too. I've got all kinds of cashmere hats/gloves/scarves/sweaters stuff bought in mid-Jan from the giant store downtown chicago, and just after March 1 when it would all go on clearance I could get the savings back on their credit card.
I scratch my head at Macys business methods. My cousin worked at one and she said that even when people were shoplifting, they weren't supposed to say anything. And people were allowed to return worn stained clothes as if they hadn't been worn (often prom dresses). And these stackable savings, using multiple savings, I have no idea how they made any money.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
I scratch my head at Macys business methods. My cousin worked at one and she said that even when people were shoplifting, they weren't supposed to say anything. And people were allowed to return worn stained clothes as if they hadn't been worn (often prom dresses). And these stackable savings, using multiple savings, I have no idea how they made any money.
They also used to have a credit card that made people tens of thousands of dollars a couple years ago.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
And these stackable savings, using multiple savings, I have no idea how they made any money.
I had an old neighbor that worked at Marshall Fields here in Chi (now bought by Macy's brand). She said that the markup on their clothing is ridiculous. She said that even when their stuff is on clearance they're still making bank.

I had an old neighbor that worked at Marshall Fields here in Chi (now bought by Macy's brand). She said that the markup on their clothing is ridiculous. She said that even when their stuff is on clearance they're still making bank.

I imagine material and labor on even quality clothing is pretty small. At least stuff not made here. Lots of paying for brand and fashion status.

Yeah, and they're all still going under, cause retail stores are fucking expensive. It's not like that ends up as actual profit at the end of the year...

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel and Ledboots