GAY "Happy" Pride

I really don't know much about you, and this is all through the power of a keyboard, but do you use "homos" in a jovial sense? Because if I was in a conversation with friends and other friends-of-friends in an informal occasion IRL and someone said "I never really got why anyone is phased by homos", immediately I go into defensive mode and disconnect from that person because of how aggressive that is. It's violent priests that use language like "homos".
Oh no. I'm just super casual around friends. I'm used to them calling each other dykes. We all know what we mean, there's no animosity

On a slightly related now, I have been pushing myself to use more gender-neutral language when talking to people I don't konw a lot about, like customers or clients. "They would like this." "Is this what they want?" "I don't know them."

It's actually not as hard as I thought it would be.
I got informed this was offensive when i started doing it :p I interview a lot of folks, and up until a certain point in the interview, I actually dont know their gender (or name). It gets blacked out by the system, which is great because it helps disable unconscious bias.

So my feedback just naturally became more along the lines of "they showed technical discipline in x, and demonstrated ability in y" even after I did interact with them and know their name/apparent gender.

DAI (diversity and inclusion) told me to stop because assuming gender neutrality was as offensive as assuming gender specificity.

Pretty sure that group may be staffed by a bunch of people that have made a professional career out of being offended for others.

I got informed this was offensive when i started doing it :p I interview a lot of folks, and up until a certain point in the interview, I actually dont know their gender (or name). It gets blacked out by the system, which is great because it helps disable unconscious bias.

So my feedback just naturally became more along the lines of "they showed technical discipline in x, and demonstrated ability in y" even after I did interact with them and know their name/apparent gender.

DAI (diversity and inclusion) told me to stop because assuming gender neutrality was as offensive as assuming gender specificity.

Pretty sure that group may be staffed by a bunch of people that have made a professional career out of being offended for others.
So empathy is outlawed now?

Well, it was nice knowing you all. Best if I slink away.

Justice Thomas said the legal rationale for Friday's decision could be applied to overturn other major cases, including those that legalized gay marriage.

"For that reason, in future cases, we should reconsider all of this Court's substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell," he wrote. "Because any substantive due process decision is 'demonstrably erroneous.'"

Just for clarity:

Griswold v. Connecticut ruled that states had no right to ban contraception for married couples (1965)
Lawrence v. Texas made same-sex sexual activity legal in every State and United States territory (2003)
Obergefell v. Hodges ruled that marriage was a fundamental liberty and extended that to same-sex couples (2015)

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Hoff Kinkmeister

Justice Thomas said the legal rationale for Friday's decision could be applied to overturn other major cases, including those that legalized gay marriage.

"For that reason, in future cases, we should reconsider all of this Court's substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell," he wrote. "Because any substantive due process decision is 'demonstrably erroneous.'"

Just for clarity:

Griswold v. Connecticut ruled that states had no right to ban contraception for married couples (1965)
Lawrence v. Texas made same-sex sexual activity legal in every State and United States territory (2003)
Obergefell v. Hodges ruled that marriage was a fundamental liberty and extended that to same-sex couples (2015)
Make sure you live in a sane state that isnt gonna strip you of your rights. Move now if you can.

Just for clarity:

We're headed to a very dark place. They're fully mask-off at this point.

Make sure you live in a sane state that isnt gonna strip you of your rights. Move now if you can.
You're talking "state" as in "nation" right? Because there is zero reason to believe that they care about federalism. The goal is national fascist theocracy and they'll probably get it.

So far (and that the dangerous bit of course) all they are stripping is the federal protections that prevent states from doing inhumane stuff. Not requiring the states to enforce a ban.

Just for clarity:

Remember when @yeppers thought they'd care about what the people want? Not gonna stop him from voting for Republicans, ofc.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
So far (and that the dangerous bit of course) all they are stripping is the federal protections that prevent states from doing inhumane stuff. Not requiring the states to enforce a ban.
"First they came . . ."

Thomas is a nut, he'd happily write the opinion that put himself back in chains.

In this fair state of Texas, however, there are laws still on the books about homosexuality and same-sex marriage. This is the reason these cases were up to the USSC anyway. The laws were never repealed, they were just not allowed to be enforced. But someone can use those still-existing laws, make a court case, bring it up to USSC, and they would use the same rules as this case and throw out Lawrence v. Texas and Obergefell v. Hodges.

The laws are still on the books in Texas. The court ruling before was that Texas couldnt' exercise those laws. This ruling, however, means that if someone tried to exercise the laws now, and it was disputed up to USSC, using the same ruling as today, the previous court rulings would be thrown out and let the state's law stand, which in Texas would outlaw homosexual behavior and same-sex marriage. For decades Texans can't get a hearing to even more those laws from the books so it's not like it's a done-deal.

Alito ripping into the liberals in an opinion. Roberts ripping into the conservatives in this opinion. This is, by far, the most toxic court we've had in a generation.

• Gravy
Reactions: Peppers