Ontopic Fracking and Earthquakes

Floptical

Doesnt Read Thread Titles
Sep 1, 2006
Rockies
Marklar
₥34,710
Here's an interesting story I saw on the news yesterday. It's about the link because earthquakes and fracking. I myself am 100% against fracking and think it should be banned. What are your thoughts about fracking and the potential earthquake link.

Here are some cliffs and the story.

Fracking may cause earthquakes much farther from the sites of its wastewater wells than previously thought, researchers said here Friday (May 2) at the annual meeting of the Seismological Society of America.

In central Oklahoma, a cluster of four high-volume wastewater injection wells triggered quakes up to 30 miles (about 50 kilometers) away, said lead study author Katie Keranen, a geophysicist at Cornell University in New York. The earthquakes have since spread farther outward, as fluids migrate farther from the massive injection wells, she said.

Scientists here noted the vast majority of injection wells haven't triggered any quakes, and the link between earthquakes and fracking or wastewater injection is not conclusive. However, there are now more earthquakes in the United States than before the fracking boom began. Between 1967 through 2000, there were an average of 21 earthquakes yearly above magnitude 3.0. That rate shot up to an average of 300 earthquakes yearly after 2010.

http://news.yahoo.com/fracking-link...xdTIwBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDM1MV8x

I agree with you. As mentioned in the story this happened in Ohio a few years ago about and hour and a half south of me. The state made the company stop fracking if I remember correctly.

We've had a few quakes in CO since I've lived here and they've all been near fracking sites. There is always a ton of fracking propaganda on TV commercials here similar to the phosphates in FL. If you have to have a commercial with a lady walking her small kids near a field or pond saying how safe fracking or phosphates are then they clearly aren't safe.

There's all kinds of geological pressure in the earth's crust. Start making cracks in things through hydrofracturing, you'll end up with earthquakes. Hopefully small ones.

I'm more concerned with water table contamination from the process.

I would be fine with fracking as long as there is full disclosure on how much water they are using, whats in the fracking fluid, etc. We have no choice; we NEED fracking. It just needs to be done responsibly.

I would be fine with fracking as long as there is full disclosure on how much water they are using, whats in the fracking fluid, etc. We have no choice; we NEED fracking. It just needs to be done responsibly.

We don't need fracking. We need to actually build a reasonable green energy plan and actually stick to it and pass rules that will have impact. Not ones that say we will have all cars have 50 plus mpg by the year 2070.

Need? Why do we need it?

We don't need fracking. We need to actually build a reasonable green energy plan and actually stick to it and pass rules that will have impact. Not ones that say we will have all cars have 50 plus mpg by the year 2070.

Yup, this for sure. All other 'reasonable' plans the gub'ment is trying to implement are pure crap.

Why do we need fracking?

Because we'd rather keep pulling carbon from the ground and burning it for energy, as the world insists on doing shit that's cheap instead of shit that's right. We need fracking to keep shit cheap, 'cause that's the way we do it on this dumbass planet.

Why do we need fracking?

Because we'd rather keep pulling carbon from the ground and burning it for energy, as the world insists on doing shit that's cheap instead of shit that's right. We need fracking to keep shit cheap, 'cause that's the way we do it on this dumbass planet.

Exactly it's like they try to do the right thing with regulations but they always put them so far out it doesn't matter.

Why do we need fracking?

Solid reply.

hydro power is amazing. Is there any big rivers we havent dammed up yet that we can for hydro?

I mean, niagara supplies power to like half the US and canada.

Can we dam the mississipi?

hydro power is amazing. Is there any big rivers we havent dammed up yet that we can for hydro?

I mean, niagara supplies power to like half the US and canada.

Can we dam the mississipi?
There's ridiculous amounts of hydro power available in northern Canada. Quebec went ahead with a bunch of development and built roads/infrastructure up north to develop the James Bay project, which generates almost 20GW of power:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bay_Project

If we got our shit together and started building up in the territories, we could supply most of north america's electricity demand with hydro.

No, then louisiana will start to stink worse than it already does

i think this ^ is more what needs to be remembered. (let's completely disregard that living in a soupbowl under sealevel is a bad idea in general. Really, the natives would have moved. But the rest of us say, hey, let's poor a shit ton of money in to that waiting disaster)

You're not 'taking' hydro power without consequences. You will change/disrupt (whatever the new 'that is bad we need the stuff my buddy says is better' movement is) the environment if you take energy from one place and put it somewhere else.

this whole 'minimizing' game is simply that. a game.

we build homes but take the environment into consideration so our homes don't sink or flood. We understand how to accomplish this. But this constant old is bad but new and different is better is a crock.

there's always going to be a bunch of jackwagons saying that moving earthworms or blades hitting birds will be the end of humanity. Fuck them. The fake 'redirect' to a new unthoughtout plan is just as stupid.

Last edited:
change isnt always bad. Yes, there will be impacts. But are those impacts lesser or greater than 572 separate coal plants in the US generating half a gigawatt a piece.