Ontopic Fracking and Earthquakes

unfortunately you get this any locations where there is money involved. I have a friend here who's company selling pumping supplies to the fracking companies. I always feel bad seeing the state he's in right now because most of the fracking here has slowed so much. The industry here has lost probably high hundreds of millions if not billions over the last year or so. They amount of people employed here has gone down around 80%. He used to have a team of 100 or so engineers under him and now it's just him in consulting role because they had to get rid of everyone. So wrapping this back around with the amount of money on the table plus the amount of jobs it becomes s very heated debate.

But for me personally I'm ok seeing the slowed down and controlled.

It was always said that fracking requires a high oil price to be profitable. Somewhere in the realm of $70 a barrel minimum if I remember right. It's no surprise it all went a tumble the moment prices dropped.

• Gravy
Reactions: plot and Ledboots
It was always said that fracking requires a high oil price to be profitable. Somewhere in the realm of $70 a barrel minimum if I remember right. It's no surprise it all went a tumble the moment prices dropped.

Exactly. And that specific Colorado story about Weld county is because they are trying to put all of these wells in or very near neighborhoods.

In places where they've got existing wells that fracking can get more oil out of, it makes economic sense. New shale oil wells, not so much.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots and Duke
my cousin has been working on oil in southern kansas/oklahoma for years. the pumps there have been around since before any of us were born, and they've been fracking any well that goes below a certain production level for just as long. it's nothing new. oil business is a dirty business... no surprise there.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
my cousin has been working on oil in southern kansas/oklahoma for years. the pumps there have been around since before any of us were born, and they've been fracking any well that goes below a certain production level for just as long. it's nothing new. oil business is a dirty business... no surprise there.
Yes, that's the truth! My great-grandfather bought part of a Texas oil well in the early 1950s, and it is still producing. They are at the blasting-water-at-it phase at this point, but not the next phase, which I guess is fracking (?) when they blast sand and stuff too.

I get a small quarterly check from this environmental ridiculousness, from my dad's share after he died. The biggest check I got was $4600 when oil was sky high. The last one was $2100. I'm a fucking oil baron, guise. Drill baby, drill.

oil baron indeed. Thats no joke oil money.

If your tiny share produces that much... its not hard to imagine how some of the big families got crazy rich in a hurry.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots