Founding New Religions

Drool-Boy said:
throught?
Nothing worse than making a dry joke bomb horridly by spelling "throat" throught. How the shit did I do that?

Fake edit:
Neuter the Stupid.

b_sinning said:
Christans do the exact samething. Think of them forcing stronger FCC regulations due to Janet Jackson Superbowl incident. They have gotten some school districts to stop teaching evolution. etc.
The 'people' who want to legislate your morality may be essentially Christian but I can guarantee the only reason it ever even comes up when they are arguing is as a justification. Individuals looking for a justification when the simple fact is that there is a nearly universal desire for humans to try and make their fellow person subscribe to a similar doctrine of thought as they do. Self proclaimed atheists do the exact same thing, actually a lot of them subscribe to the same moral line of thought as Christians and want just as badly to force everyone on the bandwagon.

Even live and let live is a philosophy that furthers itself at the expense of other ones.

eileenbunny said:
I did grow up hearing those stories and they still sound odd to me. People meditating until they realize they are God also sounds odd to me. In fact, there isn't a religion out there that doesn't sound odd to me. People really want something to believe though, so they find what has been suggested to them most often or they find what sounds most plausible to them I suppose.

The thing that makes me think that Scientology is a cult where other religions are not is the huge financial commitment that goes along with it. If I go to talk to a priest for guidance I am under no obligation to pay for his services. Therapy isn't as expensive as Scientology. They also seem to be trying to influence government, media, and the entertainment industry and that all seems a little scary to me. If you say anything bad about them they will send their very powerful lawyers after you. Bad stuff in my opinion.

I've wanted to start my own religion for tax purposes. I'm thinking of having pancake breakfast at my house every Sunday morning. Parishoners could worship the almighty Mrs. Butterworth. I live in Butterfield Park which is on Butterworth Road, so it seems appropriate. I really don't care what people want to believe if they come to breakfast with us though. A lively theological debate every week would suffice I think.

Hmmm Almighty Mrs. Butterworth . . .

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter and partake in said pancake breakfast.

FlamingGlory said:
Self proclaimed atheists do the exact same thing, actually a lot of them subscribe to the same moral line of thought as Christians and want just as badly to force everyone on the bandwagon.

Even live and let live is a philosophy that furthers itself at the expense of other ones.

I was thinking the samething about the Atheist wanting the boyscout pledge rewritten and removing ten commadments from courthouses.

b_sinning said:
Political Party vs Religious Party is a different way of thinking. Plus new religions face more vocal opponents.

Christans do the exact samething. Think of them forcing stronger FCC regulations due to Janet Jackson Superbowl incident. They have gotten some school districts to stop teaching evolution. etc.

I find this just as scary.

b_sinning said:
Most people view Scientology as a cult but if you do that then isn't Christanity a cult? Certain off shoots require their members to dress certain ways and live by certain codes.

If you didn't grow up hearing the basic stories of Christanity wouldn't they sound odd? 2 of every species of animal fitting on one big boat becuase a flood covered the whole world? Someone blowing a horn and a huge wall falling down? A person walking on water and bringing people back from the dead?

cult = someone's definition for any religion other than their own.

All religions are cults. Religion itself is a concept so immaterial and intangible that it can only exist in a cult-like state.

snoogit said:
Wasn't there an official recognition of the "jedi" religion in New Zealand recently?

that has to be a made up religion :p

Oh man . . . now I'm going through a religious crisis. Almighty Mrs. Butterworth vs. Jedi . . . .

I don't believe anyone has tried to file the paperwork with the US government for Jedism to be a recognized religion here. Scientology isn't recognized in all the countries it's located in and it's out right now allowed in some countries.

Last edited:
b_sinning said:
I don't believe anyone has tried to file the paperwork with the US government to be a recognized religion here. Scientology isn't recognized in all the countries it's located in and it's out right now allowed in some countries.

Im sure scientology is only "recognized" because of its financial backing.

The thing about filing for religious status with the US is that if you goof up one bit you can loose your all your tax incentives.

although sadly lately the enforcers have been much more lax on this issue in the US then previously.

b_sinning said:
I don't believe anyone has tried to file the paperwork with the US government for Jedism to be a recognized religion here. Scientology isn't recognized in all the countries it's located in and it's out right now allowed in some countries.

When my BF was in Iraq, one of the soldiers had his chosen religion marked as Jedi on his dog tags. Thats awesome.

snoogit said:
Wasn't there an official recognition of the "jedi" religion in New Zealand recently?

that has to be a made up religion :p

"It's from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. You either buy it or you don't" :fly:

FlamingGlory said:
The 'people' who want to legislate your morality may be essentially Christian but I can guarantee the only reason it ever even comes up when they are arguing is as a justification. Individuals looking for a justification when the simple fact is that there is a nearly universal desire for humans to try and make their fellow person subscribe to a similar doctrine of thought as they do. Self proclaimed atheists do the exact same thing, actually a lot of them subscribe to the same moral line of thought as Christians and want just as badly to force everyone on the bandwagon.

Vegans are worse.

Jedi as a religion is no stranger than scientology. I guess if it helps a person feeling connected to a higher poiwer than good for them. I'm sure Jedism hasn't led to as many wars as Christainity or Islam.

Sarcasmo said:
It's easy to brainwash people because people want to be brainwashed. People WANT to believe and belong. Those two combined are a recipe for complete and utter disaster.

I agree with sarcasmo, people want to belong to something, even if it makes no sense to the people around them if they are getting the attention and praise they want, that's what ultimately matters to them.