Founding New Religions

b_sinning

Erect Member
Nov 22, 2004
Savannah, GA
Marklar
₥10
No bashing someone else for their religion allowed.

I'm using Scientology as my example becuase I just happened to read up on it the other day and it's a fairly new religion. I'm not bashing Scientology but just asking questions about it.

References to keep facts straight:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dianetics

I come across an article on Scientology the other day so I decided to do some reading on it. I was perplexed about certain things. How did L. Ron Hubbard found a new religion in modern day society?

Here is a science fiction writer that first writes a theory and associated practices regarding the relationship of the mind and the body known as Dianetics, published 1950. So a simple definition is a self help book. Ok, that's not too unreasonable.

So he thinks more and works Dianetics into a system of beliefs and practice of a self-help philosophy known as Scientology, in 1952. The big difference in the two is the Church says that Scientology is concerned with "the study and handling of the spirit in relationship to itself, others and all of life," but they say that Dianetics is only concerned about getting rid of the reactive mind. A philosophy isn't that hard to create and present to others. But by 1960 Hubbard had redefined it as a "religion by its basic tenets".

I know Hubbard did this in part to get tax relief status. But how did he convince others that it was a Religion? That's where I'm stuck. Here is a know Science Fiction writer and people buy into something he calls a religion. Hubbard has even been quoted as saying "If you want to make a lot of money, create a religion.”

I'm not sure if any of you have read any of their basic stories (like bible stories) but they have some odd ones. Some are called Space operas by Hubbard. Such as the story of Xenu and his Galactic Confederacy. "Critics point out that Scientology literature does include many references to extraterrestrial past lives and that internal Scientology publications are often illustrated with pictures of spaceships and oblique references to catastrophic events that happened "75 million years ago" (e.g. the Xenu incident)."

How did such philosophy jump into a religion that others strongly believe and structure their lives by? It has quickly spread around the world in the past 50 years. How?!

April23 said:
It's not that hard to brainwash a person.

True, I've often wondered the same thing about cults and all I can guess is that certain people are just waiting blankly to join up with the first group/religion that gives them some kind of meaning.

I'm not implying that Scientology is a cult or that it's followers are mindless zombies. Some people are just sheep, the first person with a stick can start herding them up into any cage they want.

Did you hear that scientologist have started a program in their church to form "super powers" ie. super hearing, super speed; super sense? I kid you not! I saw it this morning on the news.

Also, didn't L Ron start scientology on a bet? I heard that somewhere. I will research and get back to you.

Dharma1521 said:
Did you hear that scientologist have started a program in their church to form "super powers" ie. super hearing, super speed; super sense? I kid you not! I saw it this morning on the news.

Also, didn't L Ron start scientology on a bet? I heard that somewhere. I will research and get back to you.

Ah, but I have already mastered the ability of being super lathargic. Their super stats are nothing compared to that!

It's easy to brainwash people because people want to be brainwashed. People WANT to believe and belong. Those two combined are a recipe for complete and utter disaster.

Sarcasmo said:
It's easy to brainwash people because people want to be brainwashed. People WANT to believe and belong. Those two combined are a recipe for complete and utter disaster.

Or an epic practical joke, (scientology) :fly:

Most people view Scientology as a cult but if you do that then isn't Christanity a cult? Certain off shoots require their members to dress certain ways and live by certain codes.

If you didn't grow up hearing the basic stories of Christanity wouldn't they sound odd? 2 of every species of animal fitting on one big boat becuase a flood covered the whole world? Someone blowing a horn and a huge wall falling down? A person walking on water and bringing people back from the dead?

Sarcasmo said:

And its even better if the mushbrains youre working on have lots and lots of cash for "donations"

Did he have that much Charisma that he could get people to buy into his beliefs and give him huge sums of their fortunes. After that these people actively go out and recruit others to join. How did he do it?

b_sinning said:
Most people view Scientology as a cult but if you do that then isn't Christanity a cult? Certain off shoots require their members to dress certain ways and live by certain codes.

If you didn't grow up hearing the basic stories of Christanity wouldn't they sound odd? 2 of every species of animal fitting on one big boat becuase a flood covered the whole world? Someone blowing a horn and a huge wall falling down? A person walking on water and bringing people back from the dead?

I completely agree! I think that if Christianity was started today that it wouldn't be as world wide. I am not saying that Christianity is right or wrong I am just saying that in the beginning dramatic measures were used to spread the religion.

*cough* Spanish Inquisition *cough*

KNYTE said:
It's because Tom Cruise is F'ing crazy mang.

Teen girl: Hey, I'm a Scientologist.
Tom Cruise: Oh, really? What echelon are you in?
Teen girl: [awkwardly quiet] Uh... number three?
Tom Cruise: Exactly.

--Mission: Impossible III gala premiere, TriBeCa Film Festival, BMCC

lemon_fresh said:
Teen girl: Hey, I'm a Scientologist.
Tom Cruise: Oh, really? What echelon are you in?
Teen girl: [awkwardly quiet] Uh... number three?
Tom Cruise: Exactly.

--Mission: Impossible III gala premiere, TriBeCa Film Festival, BMCC

My Thetans are lower than yours!

b_sinning said:

I did grow up hearing those stories and they still sound odd to me. People meditating until they realize they are God also sounds odd to me. In fact, there isn't a religion out there that doesn't sound odd to me. People really want something to believe though, so they find what has been suggested to them most often or they find what sounds most plausible to them I suppose.

The thing that makes me think that Scientology is a cult where other religions are not is the huge financial commitment that goes along with it. If I go to talk to a priest for guidance I am under no obligation to pay for his services. Therapy isn't as expensive as Scientology. They also seem to be trying to influence government, media, and the entertainment industry and that all seems a little scary to me. If you say anything bad about them they will send their very powerful lawyers after you. Bad stuff in my opinion.

I've wanted to start my own religion for tax purposes. I'm thinking of having pancake breakfast at my house every Sunday morning. Parishoners could worship the almighty Mrs. Butterworth. I live in Butterfield Park which is on Butterworth Road, so it seems appropriate. I really don't care what people want to believe if they come to breakfast with us though. A lively theological debate every week would suffice I think.

Political Party vs Religious Party is a different way of thinking. Plus new religions face more vocal opponents.

eileenbunny -

They also seem to be trying to influence government, media, and the entertainment industry and that all seems a little scary to me.

Christans do the exact samething. Think of them forcing stronger FCC regulations due to Janet Jackson Superbowl incident. They have gotten some school districts to stop teaching evolution. etc.

This confuses me too. Sometimes I'd like to go back in time and shove the 95 thesis down Martin Luther's throught.