For those against gay marriage

Less attractive than Ernest Borgnine, and possibly unwashed.

I dunno man, he was quite the looker back in the mchales navy days:

earnest.jpg

It scary reading all the supposed arguments against gay marriage.

Here's some that I've read:

1) A reverend said it violates his right to freedom of religion because his religion believes gay marriage is wrong

2) The bible says it's wrong

3) It dilutes the meaning of straight marriage

4) This is a christian nation founded on christian beliefs, and those beliefs say gay marriage is wrong

5) Gay marriage could lead to other marriage law challenges. Such as polygamy, and beastiality. And no, I did not make up the beastiality thing. It was posted on some dumbshit Maine forum.

What I don't understand is how can people say it's okay to force their religious beliefs on someone who doesn't believe the same.

Also, how is ok for one group of people to enjoy a right, while others aren't allowed to.

What's really scary is how many people have been brainwashed to believe that the USA was founded on christian beliefs..

as long as they pay taxes and have to deal with all the rest of the drama of marriage I say go ahead and let them marry. not like some stuffy old book is going to stop them from loving each other.

What's really scary is how many people have been brainwashed to believe that the USA was founded on christian beliefs..

Indeed.

If it was founded on a specific set of religious beliefs the Bill Of Rights would not include the right to freedom of religion.

Also, we'd have "Christian Law" much like some Islamic countries adhere to "Islamic Law" based on the Koran.

Are the majority of our lawmakers Christian? Do they legislate based on their particlar morality? If so does that mean we have Christian laws?

It scary reading all the supposed arguments against gay marriage.

Here's some that I've read:

1) A reverend said it violates his right to freedom of religion because his religion believes gay marriage is wrong

2) The bible says it's wrong

3) It dilutes the meaning of straight marriage

4) This is a christian nation founded on christian beliefs, and those beliefs say gay marriage is wrong

5) Gay marriage could lead to other marriage law challenges. Such as polygamy, and beastiality. And no, I did not make up the beastiality thing. It was posted on some dumbshit Maine forum.

What I don't understand is how can people say it's okay to force their religious beliefs on someone who doesn't believe the same.

Also, how is ok for one group of people to enjoy a right, while others aren't allowed to.

1) You can make arguments against gay marriage without using religion. See my previous post.

2) You can make arguments against gay marriage without using religion. See my previous post.

3) The purpose and reason of marriage is fairly specific, read my reasoning in a previous post.

4) You can make arguments against gay marriage without using religion. See my previous post.

5) The polygamy argument holds the most water. The bestiality thing can immediately get thrown out because the animal cannot give consent in the legal sense, so if anything they will never be issued a marriage license and if someone is caught having sex with an animal, they could be charged with rape. Polygamy, however, all involved can be proven to be of sound mind and consent to said activities. And it wasn't just people from Maine making these claims.

Telling a group of people about your beliefs about something, convincing them that it is what you should do, those are legal. Having many like-minded people actively vote in officials that feel the same way is also legal. There is no direct push of beliefs on people.

If the majority don't want a law or do want a law, they have the fundimental right to vote it out or in. This is exactly what happened. This is why the US is a democracy. As Ken Starr said, if slavery was on the ballot again and 51% voted for it, it should become law because that's what our procedures say.

as long as they pay taxes and have to deal with all the rest of the drama of marriage I say go ahead and let them marry. not like some stuffy old book is going to stop them from loving each other.

The thing is, if they are married, they can pay less taxes and can cost more for medicare and other issues like divorce expenses and such.

If 51% of people choose to ignore the Constitution, it's still a violation of Constitutional rights.

Are the majority of our lawmakers Christian? Do they legislate based on their particlar morality? If so does that mean we have Christian laws?

75% of the US population indentifies as Christian. It stands to reason they will have voted in like-minded people into office, so I would assume at least 75% of the lawmakers are Christian.

If you have a belief system, all interactions you have will have had some influence based on your beliefs in some facet. It could be safe to assume that some decisions might have been at least slightly influenced in an indirect way to Christianity.

Also look into all consitutions of the country as well as our money. "In God We Trust" implies Christian basis.

If 51% of people choose to ignore the Constitution, it's still a violation of Constitutional rights.

Yes, and they will be dealt with according to laws set in place by procedure dictated by the document they "ignore" (whatever ignoring means)

oddly enough, i work for a german company in kansas. one of our technitions is a lesbian and that was a question she brought up when being hired, is if the insurance would cover her life partner. called HR and sure enough, they would. doesn't need to be an officially recognized union or anything (becuase... well, good luck getting an officially recognized union). basically just gotta live togethor.

I like the idea of that, you can give your benefits to whom ever, lover, friend, parent, neighbor, etc...They, the benefits, are yours, you should be able to assign them as you'd like.