Food

soup is one of those things that i never crave, nor am i ever excited to eat, but when i have to/should eat it, i enjoy it.

i am just learning to appreciate a LITTLE onion. i'd NEVER eat a raw one, however. :barf:

I've done it the last two years against a caterer friend of mine. I won the first one, she won last year. This year there are 8 competitors, and we're taking it easy. We were gonna do tournament style, but I have to get my ass back home and pack for Florida. Every competitor brings a secret ingredient, we draw names for who cooks against who and what the secret ingredient is for each battle. The other competitors judge the dishes with a max of 10 points for taste, 5 for plating, 5 for originality.

THAT is awesome. :clap: good luck!!! or break a knife, whatever you say to awesome chefs to wish them luck. :fly:

What knives do you use??? I think we talked about this, but I forget. I want those damn Onion Shuns. So. fucking. sexay. :drool:

Henkels twin cuisine II chef and santoku.

I'd kill for the ken onion chef knife...

I'm pretty sure the difference between shallots and onions is fairly negligible.

In terms of antioxidants in alliums, shallots are at the high end, vidalia onions on the low end.regular onions fall in the middle.

My dad has an awesome set of Japanese knives. And a new edge? Wtf, my knives have been used by our family for my entire life (20 years) are still sharp as ever. I love sharpening them. :D

Yeah, I don't hone them like a should, so they go dull too fast. And its like an all day job to sharpen all of them. Including the steak knives, we've got like 16+ knives. Lazy++

My dad has an awesome set of Japanese knives. And a new edge? Wtf, my knives have been used by our family for my entire life (20 years) are still sharp as ever. I love sharpening them. :D

shasrpening isn't the same as steeling them. Steeling fixes small nicks in the blade, but depending how much you use them, they need to be sharpened once or twice a year. Sharpening creates a new edge, whereas steeling just fixes the existing one.

Fly, you should be able to take them into a good kitchen store for sharpening, or a restaurant supply place. Also, Cook's Ill recommends the Chef'sChoice sharpener for home use ;)

I have this one, it does both, and is fairly cheap:

http://usa.jahenckels.com/272henckels

Yeah, I don't hone them like a should, so they go dull too fast. And its like an all day job to sharpen all of them. Including the steak knives, we've got like 16+ knives. Lazy++

it takes about 2 minutes per knife with the one I have