Ontopic Find all your Covid-19 needs here!

This is a great discussion about a huge and fascinating randomized study done in Bangledesh to determine the effects of mask wearing. As is often the case with science, it provides more questions than answers. In essence, anything other than N95 resulted in ZERO reduction in transmission for people under 50.

IIRC, some countries (Germany?) already have determined anything other than N95 is useless and specifically require them.

Yeah, the numbers support that shit here in NM too.

Our fearless governor has extended the mask mandate another month, despite the fact that, over the same time period, NM and Wisconsin (which has no state-wide mask mandate) have had basically congruent 7 day moving average case numbers on a per-capita basis.

Of course, if I point that out anywhere, it's just because we haven't MASKED HARD ENOUGH, or some other such shit.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
This is a great discussion about a huge and fascinating randomized study done in Bangledesh to determine the effects of mask wearing. As is often the case with science, it provides more questions than answers. In essence, anything other than N95 resulted in ZERO reduction in transmission for people under 50.

IIRC, some countries (Germany?) already have determined anything other than N95 is useless and specifically require them.

maan, that study is suspect in so many ways according the reddit comments. Im not knowledgeable enough to say if theyre right or not, but that masks provide zero protection is a ridiculous outcome. There was no N95s during the spanish flu and straight up cloth wraps certainly helped there.

maan, that study is suspect in so many ways according the reddit comments. Im not knowledgeable enough to say if theyre right or not, but that masks provide zero protection is a ridiculous outcome. There was no N95s during the spanish flu and straight up cloth wraps certainly helped there.
There are TONS of studies that show cloth does nothing. It's mask theatre.

And I read that person's comments as well. He/she spread that same comment over multiple threads about this study. Someone else defended it pretty well in another thread. While not perfect, its the largest study we have so far about masking. And clearly based on it, we have more science to do.

Crazy stats in there. COVID has killed one out of every 500 Americans. It's also killed one out of every 35 people aged 85+. And one out of every 210 people in the Bronx.

I really want to see someone run the numbers to see how much longer COVID has made Social Security solvent.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant

Crazy stats in there. COVID has killed one out of every 500 Americans. It's also killed one out of every 35 people aged 85+. And one out of every 210 people in the Bronx.

I really want to see someone run the numbers to see how much longer COVID has made Social Security solvent.
its already canceled out 1/3rd of our birth rate roughly.

• Gravy
vaguely related... but those child tax credits that are coming in early are helping us keep afloat. That extra 600 a month is the difference between being in the red or the black for that month.

We're fine, not cutting necessities yet, but the gov payscale is really starting to not cut it

• Gravy
Given that it's about to get turned up a notch because even the clowns in charge can't ignore the inflation that's occurred so quickly, I'd bet it's either a wash or shorter than before.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
vaguely related... but those child tax credits that are coming in early are helping us keep afloat. That extra 600 a month is the difference between being in the red or the black for that month.

We're fine, not cutting necessities yet, but the gov payscale is really starting to not cut it
That shit is brilliant. Almost UBI, and its going to be impossible for the Republicans to turn it off.

(Not that I support UBI.)

threema-20210919-234140137.jpg

There you go. It's a life-saving vaccine, but libruls are so mean and smug that the holdouts can't get the shot now because it'll make their peepees soft, and it's ALL THEM DAMN LIBRULS FAULT.

• Haha
> getting and spreading a preventable, deadly, debilitating illness to own the libs
Kind of reminds me of that anecdote about how many American tanks it took to knock out the German tanks in WWII. Something about an old German guy saying: "A German tank could take out 15 American tanks before being immobilized. Damn shame there was always a 16th American tank"

the one straight from the cdc is probably most credible.

mm7037e1-F2-large.gif