Ontopic Find all your Covid-19 needs here!

Texas proper is trending up. No idea why you guys are so low, but statistical anomalies aren't rare in a large enough dataset (ie. the US). Or maybe there's a reason that we just haven't figured out yet.

View attachment 11908

Deaths should start to pick up too, as those lag behind the positive tests by ~7-14 days.

People here in town have been generally pretty damn good about masking up and distancing, etc. Haven't physically been anywhere else to compare with my own eyes but compared to stories from other places we've been overwhelmingly compliant.

Also a lot of people here didn't go out at first opportunity even though they could and many businesses didn't open at first opportunity even though they could either.
Some because they figured it was still too early, some because their business would just be bleeding money anyway restricted to low customer count, along with a few other ancillary reasons.

More people are going out more often as things progress but there's still no traffic here.
Government can lift restrictions but the people set the pace and we seem to be taking it pretty chill for the most part.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
People here in town have been generally pretty damn good about masking up and distancing, etc. Haven't physically been anywhere else to compare with my own eyes but compared to stories from other places we've been overwhelmingly compliant.

Also a lot of people here didn't go out at first opportunity even though they could and many businesses didn't open at first opportunity even though they could either.
Some because they figured it was still too early, some because their business would just be bleeding money anyway restricted to low customer count, along with a few other ancillary reasons.

More people are going out more often as things progress but there's still no traffic here.
Government can lift restrictions but the people set the pace and we seem to be taking it pretty chill for the most part.
Good point. Intelligent, socially responsible citizens make things easier!

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I read the story and report and it’s a bit misleading based on the headline. Basically what they are saying is asymptomatic spread is rare. And all of the spread we were seeing that we thought was asymptomatic spread was actually people who had low level symptoms but didn’t know it. So on the grand scheme of things the end result is the exact same regardless of how they medically classify it. That result being people out in public not knowing they are sick passing it to others.

• Gravy
The important distinction apparently is asymptomatic vs pre-symptomatic. Almost no one is asymptomatic, where as pre-symptomatic people can still spread the virus (which is what makes it spread so much easier than SARS).

The important distinction apparently is asymptomatic vs pre-symptomatic. Almost no one is asymptomatic, where as pre-symptomatic people can still spread the virus (which is what makes it spread so much easier than SARS).
Which to the general populous is like the difference between partly cloudy and partly sunny.

View attachment 11914

Looks like a bit of under-reporting going on?
Time will certainly tell. I can tell you that in my county, they just opened a third free testing site. And my friend's mom died last month, and the ME swabbed her for CV19 (she was negative).

I'm sure you've seen some of the reports from very early on in the pandemic. Statistically, NY had a huge 'excess' death problem. Some of that is likely CV19 and some of it is likely people not wanting to go near a hospital for treatment. I find it real hard to believe that hospitals aren't testing for this, which may mean that people aren't seeking treatment in time - thereby causing them to end up having pneumonia. But again, time will tell...

Time will certainly tell. I can tell you that in my county, they just opened a third free testing site. And my friend's mom died last month, and the ME swabbed her for CV19 (she was negative).

I'm sure you've seen some of the reports from very early on in the pandemic. Statistically, NY had a huge 'excess' death problem. Some of that is likely CV19 and some of it is likely people not wanting to go near a hospital for treatment. I find it real hard to believe that hospitals aren't testing for this, which may mean that people aren't seeking treatment in time - thereby causing them to end up having pneumonia. But again, time will tell...

Technically, you don't die of Covid 19, you die of pneumonia (or sometimes liver failure gets you first). It can therefore be argued that the cause of death was pneumonia despite it beoing caused by Covid 19. The chances are, no autopsies are carried out where someone dies outside a hospital so Covid is never diagnosed. This is why only 'excesss deaths' has any real meaning.

Which makes me wonder how many cases are truly asymptotic. It seems like here they say it’s a higher likelihood they are just super low symptoms but they are there.

Technically, you don't die of Covid 19, you die of pneumonia (or sometimes liver failure gets you first). It can therefore be argued that the cause of death was pneumonia despite it beoing caused by Covid 19. The chances are, no autopsies are carried out where someone dies outside a hospital so Covid is never diagnosed. This is why only 'excesss deaths' has any real meaning.
Fairly sure that in the US deaths in the home always get an autopsy. May have special cases like hospice, but I think other than that you can count on one.

Fairly sure that in the US deaths in the home always get an autopsy. May have special cases like hospice, but I think other than that you can count on one.

Over here, if you're old (so expected to die in the foreseeable) they generally just put the most likely cause down. Only 'sudden death' is an automatic autopsy.

• Gravy