Fifa World Cup 2006 Thread

elpmis said:
For the longest time, my favorite player was Rivaldo, hence my support for Brazil, and I've recently jumped on the Ronaldinho bandwagon. Brazil seems to have lost it's traditional high speed field play & show-ie passing and scoring, I think a lot of it has to do with Ronaldo not giving his best effort this year (he's definitely gained weight) he almost looks lazy out there.

If the US can make it to round two, it's just squeeking by. In two games they've had two shots 'on goal', sad. The team does look old, especially Donovan.

I really have no excuse for liking England, I'm not all hung up on Beckham, but I am on Owen - I got a little emotional recently in regards to his tourney ending injury

I'd cheer for Wales before England. Ryan Giggs ftw

elpmis said:
For the longest time, my favorite player was Rivaldo, hence my support for Brazil, and I've recently jumped on the Ronaldinho bandwagon. Brazil seems to have lost it's traditional high speed field play & show-ie passing and scoring, I think a lot of it has to do with Ronaldo not giving his best effort this year (he's definitely gained weight) he almost looks lazy out there.

If the US can make it to round two, it's just squeeking by. In two games they've had two shots 'on goal', sad. The team does look old, especially Donovan.

I really have no excuse for liking England, I'm not all hung up on Beckham, but I am on Owen - I got a little emotional recently in regards to his tourney ending injury
Brazil can afford to be showie though, for now anyway. They are a great team, though they might have a bit of difficulty with Argentina this time around who look like an incredibly strong team. I'll agree with you about Ronaldo though, but he had great form in some of the friendly's before the world cup. We'll have to see if he reaches his form again.

The US seem a great team until you watch them play. They just don't seem to be world class compared to the Euro or South American teams. I'd like to see them go through though, but it's looking doubtful at the minute.

England are as overrated as ever. They have still yet to shut up about winning the world cup in 1966. Their performances so far have been terrible for how hyped up they are. It stemmed the whole ING-ER-LUND thing though. I think they realized that 2006 isn't their year either :p

ceiling fly said:
I just don't get the sport. I'm a simple American when it comes to sports and soccer has too many possesion changes and not enough scoring.
The only rule that I disagree with is the offside rule, the rest are simple enough especially when compared to a sport like basketball.

I'll agree with the scoring, but the world cup is actually entertaining even if there is so little scoring. For league or national games, yeah, they're boring as sin.

ceiling fly said:
I just don't get the sport. I'm a simple American when it comes to sports and soccer has too many possesion changes and not enough scoring.

It's like hockey minus ice and penis sticks. I've never gotten into either. Hockey or soccer, that is, I won't bring up penis sticks.

elpmis said:
I'll watch Champion's League, well I'll watch what they'll put on TV in the states
Champions league can be okay, it can also be terrible. Is there no dedicated channel there like the Rugby channel? I'd say there'd be a bigger audience for soccer than rugby.

thrawn said:
It's like hockey minus ice and penis sticks. I've never gotten into either. Hockey or soccer, that is, I won't bring up penis sticks.

Hocker and Sockey are the greatest!!! Go screw your sister, hillbilly.

eileenbunny said:
These guys are pussies. One loses some skin and cries like a baby. This other guy gets elbowed in the head and cries like a baby. Suck it up! Geez.
they're trying to draw a foul, just like in basketball

eileenbunny said:
You have a Rugby channel? That's awesome. Now there's a sport with some tough players.
It's over there, I'll be ordering it when I go to Canada :p

I played rugby for a few years, and have a distinction in it for my school. Amazing game. I hope to play it for University over there again, teach them a thing or two :p

Galen said:
Champions league can be okay, it can also be terrible. Is there no dedicated channel there like the Rugby channel? I'd say there'd be a bigger audience for soccer than rugby.
Nope, nothing

I didn't know there was a Rugby channel

Galen said:
Brazil can afford to be showie though, for now anyway. They are a great team, though they might have a bit of difficulty with Argentina this time around who look like an incredibly strong team. I'll agree with you about Ronaldo though, but he had great form in some of the friendly's before the world cup. We'll have to see if he reaches his form again.

The US seem a great team until you watch them play. They just don't seem to be world class compared to the Euro or South American teams. I'd like to see them go through though, but it's looking doubtful at the minute.

England are as overrated as ever. They have still yet to shut up about winning the world cup in 1966. Their performances so far have been terrible for how hyped up they are. It stemmed the whole ING-ER-LUND thing though. I think they realized that 2006 isn't their year either :p
I couldn't believe Argentia could only tie Netherlands