Fear & Loathing In Las Phenis

I am looking forward to a chance to actually go down there and look around and such before we move down, but unfortunately it will be a quick trip. We are leaving kids behind so we can just drive down, spend a day interviewing, a day looking at houses, and then drive home.

Definately make sure you look at the places before you rent. More often than not many of the apartment complex's show pictures of their property when it was first built. So if you don't notice that it was built 10 years ago .. they maaaaay not look the same when you go to move in and then you're like WTF, and stuck with a run down apartment.

I had a friend do that. She got relocated and her company opted to even paid for her first year of her lease. She sent off for all these brochures for apartments and found this one that was just FABULOUS looking/sounding. Yeah, it might have been 20 years ago. She wasn't able to go look at it, and all the info she found had great pictures/ammenities listed.

When she got there .. the place was run down bad, and most of the "ammenities" had either quit working, grown over with weeds, or were just completely gone. And the rent wasn't exactly "low" for the area it was in either.

She was SO dissapointed. I felt really bad for her.

Definately make sure you look at the places before you rent. More often than not many of the apartment complex's show pictures of their property when it was first built. So if you don't notice that it was built 10 years ago .. they maaaaay not look the same when you go to move in and then you're like WTF, and stuck with a run down apartment.

I had a friend do that. She got relocated and her company opted to even paid for her first year of her lease. She sent off for all these brochures for apartments and found this one that was just FABULOUS looking/sounding. Yeah, it might have been 20 years ago. She wasn't able to go look at it, and all the info she found had great pictures/ammenities listed.

When she got there .. the place was run down bad, and most of the "ammenities" had either quit working, grown over with weeds, or were just completely gone. And the rent wasn't exactly "low" for the area it was in either.

She was SO dissapointed. I felt really bad for her.

We are actually looking at houses, but even if we don't get a chance find one that works and is available when we need it this weekend, we luckily have friends in the area that could go look for us and take pics and such. I would never move into a new place without someone I trust taking a peak (my sister is also in Phoenix on business pretty regularly and would look for us as well).

That sucks that she ended up in a dump, good thing she didn't have to pay for it out of her pocket.

what is Phoenix like? I'm considering moving there at least temporarily in January if things keep going well with Janey_B.

what is Phoenix like? I'm considering moving there at least temporarily in January if things keep going well with Janey_B.

Well let you know in December. Neither of us have ever actually been there and the only thing anyone can tell us is it's hot.

We are actually looking at houses, but even if we don't get a chance find one that works and is available when we need it this weekend, we luckily have friends in the area that could go look for us and take pics and such. I would never move into a new place without someone I trust taking a peak (my sister is also in Phoenix on business pretty regularly and would look for us as well).

That sucks that she ended up in a dump, good thing she didn't have to pay for it out of her pocket.

It occurs to me that if you have friends in the area, Knyte should consider using their address for his resume. I hope he gets the position he is currently applying for, but if not, it will help him in his job search to have a local address on his resume. Companies are more willing to talk to you if they think you are local. Dan used his parents address when we wanted to move back to Maryland and he was job hunting from Ohio.

excellent idea. i'm going to use that idea when i move somewhere. i'll just get a P.O. box or something and have the mail from it forwarded.

I keep a po box at a ups store because I don't trust packages being left at my apartment. You just use the address of the UPS store and put your box number as the apt. number.

etc.

15 Jones st. #210

It works too. I wasn't even getting the time of day from any prospective employers until I started sending out resumes with a local address.

But about this. Don't they think it's weird your current employment address is listed in Utah but you have an Arizona address? Also, how does that work on interviews, they are def going to want you to just come in as opposed to doing phone interviews first. Please give more information on how it worked for you. Thanks.