Coqui

Piccolo Pete
Oct 14, 2004
Columbus, OH
Marklar
₥3,593
I have a weird one for you.

Operating under Exchange 2003.

We have an automated service that sends emails with usernames and passwords to outside clients. However they are not receiving this email. When I look in the Exchange queues, it is receiving the following message:

The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink.

The issue with this is that our domain is definitely not blacklisted because I can send the client an email fine from my own address within our system. It just seems to be this one automated address (which is just an internal email as well....just not assigned to a specific person)

Why would one be failing when another doesn't? Everything I found regarding this email (reverse DNS, blacklisted, and issues with DNS blocking certain characters) would be affecting emails I send them as well.

Yikes, I didn't read the author's final comments.

i fixed this. disabling the anti-virus, re-installing smtp, then re-installing exchange. bout 12 hours now. wanted to thank everyone for their help with this so i split the points.

I hope that isn't your issue. :omy:

Hmm, I've seen a couple of references to the Exchange server being used as an open relay. You sure you've got STMP locked down?

Also, another quote from an EE post (that you may have found already)

One possible cause for this issue is related to MX records and ISP/IP blacklists.
You should review your external IPfor any blacklists: http://www.mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx
Your MX Records should include your external IP DNS record: http://www.mxtoolbox.com/

edit: You said it wasn't blacklisted, n/m

As a security guy, I gotta ask if you have any email relays, IDS/IPS or firewall stuff blocking emails containing usernames and passwords

i thought this was about returning items purchased in a store and was going to direct you to my brother who has used dozens of Best Buy and Wal mart items for 29 days and then returned them. :waw:

We got it to work. Their SPAM filter was blocking it in a weird way. Since there was no reply to account, it automatically blocked the email from being sent.

We got it to work. Their SPAM filter was blocking it in a weird way. Since there was no reply to account, it automatically blocked the email from being sent.

Good call. We recently had our stupid Postini bullshit find a way to block BBerry activation messages. Fucking pisser to troubleshoot.