Halp Ever install an electric water heater?

R6WkoFz.jpg

And this thing will only cost $700 after the tax credit. Shouldn't take too long to pay for itself.
Here's what I'd do. Hit up home depot and get..

Two of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-3-...ater-Connector-FFSS-18/202255005#.UqT0uSeQOLY

Two of these, or whatever matches your CPVC diameter and the thread on the water heater hoses:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-3-...ition-Adapter-C4704-CT/100187109#.UqT0ZSeQOLY

Also CPVC cement.

When the tank's drained, cut the CPVC halfway up the pipes attached to the hot water heater - use a proper cutter as domon suggested, or mark a circle around the pipe with a piece of paper and a marker and carefully use a hacksaw. Weld on the new adapters. Pull the heater out, put the new heater in and make the connection with the flex hoses.

This assumes the heat pump heater has both connections on the top.

flex hoses tend to be exceptionally shitty in my experience. Id go with straight connection if possible.

If you do go with those nibco NPT fittings, be aware you have to seriously seriously crank them down with a set of wrenches with good (read: rectorseal) sealant or theyll leak.

All-metal flex hoses are OK, and stainless is better than copper. Braided hoses with rubber inside are a no-no, especially for the outlet and especially with chlorinated city water.

Option B is to recreate what they've got there already, but you might end up having to remove/replace a significant amount of CPVC to align the plumbing to the new heater. I call that a pain in the ass.

OK, if a water leak won't lead to a bunch of shit getting ruined because of the floor slope or whatever, yeah, you're fine.

Looks like I'll be able to get 15% off, plus a $200 coupon frm Lowes, and then a $300 tax credit from Uncle Sam. I could do better, but the coupon expires on the 11th, so I've got a time crunch.

is there no florida state tax credit as well? Thats how they were so low here. Fed credit, state credit, coupon.

Looks like I'll be able to get 15% off, plus a $200 coupon frm Lowes, and then a $300 tax credit from Uncle Sam. I could do better, but the coupon expires on the 11th, so I've got a time crunch.
Just bite the bullet and eat KD/diced up hotdog wieners/ketchup for a week.