Halp Ever install an electric water heater?

well, thats how he's gonna relieve pressure when he drains it, so thatd make sense.
@fly, im assuming city water? If you dont have a shutoff valve right before the hot water heater, id recommend shutting off your whole water supply to the house.

well, in my case it was at the cottage after it was all drained for the winter. blew the top element, but that was an easy enough fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
i can walk you guys through it if ya'll need @APRIL and @fly

supplies you need:

CPVC cement, its orange (not the universal stuff, that stuff sucks),
Purple primer
(4) 1/2 to 1/2 inch cpvc (tan) bushings. Assuming your main lines are 1/2 inch. They could be 3/4, though i doubt it, or they could be 3/8s if someone was dumb
A good cpvc cutter, one that looks like this, dont try to saw it.
Reed-RS2.jpg

A drain hose, and either a bunch of 5 gallon buckets, or a lower point where siphoning can work, im guess its not a basement since you're in florida.

Electrical:

needlenose pliers
wire strippers
common sense
voltage tester
screwdriver
more common sense.

Was wondering when someone would mention draining it beforehand...

We replaced our shit 40 gallon kenmore from 1978 with a Bosch tankless gas unit a few years ago. Could not be happier.

DSC_0006_001.JPG

(it's CPVC, I just have shit white balance in this picture)

We don't have gas and fuck an electric tankless. Pics incoming.

Just curious what is wrong with tankless? Not that you have to have one. We were kind of forced to do either a forced air (gas) vent or a tankless due to our asshole previous owners not disclosing the asbestos on the exhaust. Dumb idiots actually reused the vent and probably inhaled asbestos while doing it. Both would have cost the same price since we had a lot of gas lines and crap to redo. So we chose tankless - and except for when the power goes out :( I love it! Never have had a cold shower since.

Yours looks pretty simple (in a good way) like what we had before.

Electric water heaters are not found here like ever, so I am curious to find more. Obviously clueless about any electric appliance. So can you explain more? :)
Much like a tankless gas heater, an electric tankless have 2-3x the instantaneous amperage demand of a comparable water heater with a tank.

It works out to having to run some 0 or 00 gauge wire to the unit, and upgrading your electric service.

electric instant water heater draws are flat out ridiculous. I looked at one and it literally would have taken a full half of my 100 amp panel.

R6WkoFz.jpg

And this thing will only cost $700 after the tax credit. Shouldn't take too long to pay for itself.

they were down to 250 or so here with tax rebates, just for reference. I almost went in for one.

Thanks guys! Totally didn't think of that. I was wondering if something more internal was different but couldn't figure it out. Electrical fixes are easy in this house though. I know a good guy who makes things easy (and helped bring our house up to - and well beyond - code). If you have to hire someone to do it, it's really expensive though.

All electric homes here are a total rarity. Natural gas are the norm here. I do have an electric stove right now but that's only because I hate gas ovens for baking. I have the hook up for both though.

i have the strong feeling you're being an armchair expert again and are just pretending to know what you're talking about.
I have a feeling youre a shitbag because anyone who posts on this site knows I've completely gutted and remodeled two houses including building one from the foundation to roof solo.

I've also built a road, out of crushed stone, that IS VERY FAMOUS HERE

I live in the northeast, *shrug* Everything here is copper, sometimes new houses have PEX. If you go to supply places and ask for CPVC they will just look at you funny.

It was a NIGHTMARE to get cement siding delivered here. Everyplace was like "We can get you a deal on vinyl" >.<

I have a feeling youre a shitbag because anyone who posts on this site knows I've completely gutted and remodeled two houses including building one from the foundation to roof solo.

I've also built a road, out of crushed stone, that IS VERY FAMOUS HERE
ZRH BUILDS ROADS :fly: