Conroe

Atan Nolme

Flaccid Member
Oct 14, 2004
Karningul,Eriador, Endor
Marklar
₥436
Who is going to upgrade or build a new system, around the new Intel chip?

If Fedex holds true to form. I should get my Intel 975XBX "Bad Axe" revision 304 some where between ~1130 to 1330 along with a Presler chip. Once the Conroes come I should be able to to swap the Presler chip for a Conroe chip.:pandora: :happy: :cool:

ceiling fly said:
I haven't been keeping up. What's so good about a Conroe? Have they finally caught up to AMD? :D

Intel Conroe desktop CPU is expected to be released in July 23rd on a 65nm process. Conroe is a dual core CPU based around the Merom (mobile chip) architecture but optimised for the desktop market by removing some of the power constraints from Merom in order to increase performance. Like Merom, Conroe will feature a 14-stage pipeline and will be a 4-issue core. Conroe will additionally feature SSE4 support, virtualization capabilities, LaGrande technology and 64-bit capability in addition to EDB, EIST and iAMT2. The standard edition CPUs will feature a 1066Mhz FSB speed, with the initial members of family being as follows:

E6300 (1.86GHz), $183
E6400 (2.13GHz), $224
E6600 (2.4GHz), $316
E6700 (2.67GHz), $530
E6800 (2.93GHz), $? (Q4)
E4200 (2.66GHz, 800Mhz FSB), $?

Preliminary benchmarks show that a 2.66Ghz Conroe outperforms a 2.8Ghz FX-60 (Dual Core) by 15% to 40% in gaming benchmarks and 10% to 30% in Media Encoding tests.

Arátoeldar said:
I don't think AMD can match the price war that Intel has embarked upon because of the AMD & Dell server deal.

sure they can...they probably have 1/2 the bloated US govt style infrastructure to support

So in a desktop, do these outperform comparable Athlon X2 CPUs?

In other news I just ordered a server with 2 dual core Xeons at 2.8GHz and 12GB DDR2 400MHz Single Ranked DIMMs. :D that one will be fun to play with.

ERage said:
So in a desktop, do these outperform comparable Athlon X2 CPUs?

In other news I just ordered a server with 2 dual core Xeons at 2.8GHz and 12GB DDR2 400MHz Single Ranked DIMMs. :D that one will be fun to play with.

what're you using to manage the memory?

So what's the point of everyone spending so much on "real ultimate power"? Are you all rendering complex 3D landscapes on a daily basis?

Sarcasmo said:
So what's the point of everyone spending so much on "real ultimate power"? Are you all rendering complex 3D landscapes on a daily basis?

no chit...I haven't bought a new chip in about 18 months and there is no foreseeable need anywhere close on the horizon

Sarcasmo said:

Oblivion with heavy .ini tweaks :drool:

Besides, building a fast PC has always been my hobby. I don't spend much money in bars, I don't drive a fast car, I don't get hookers...I do the PC thing.

ERage said:

Or GRAW with tweaks.

Besides, building a fast PC has always been my hobby. I don't spend much money in bars, I don't drive a fast car, I don't get hookers...I do the PC thing.

Before I really got into the PC I would drop my money on music CDs. There is not a lot in new music CDs or movies that I care to buy.

To be honest I don't pay much attention to the proc war unless I'm in the market to buy, then it all becomes very interesting to me for some reason. :)

ERage said:

I spend about $60/week at happy hours with friends. I'd MUCH rather get out and be social and drool over hot women. But I mean whatever floats your boat, I just thought maybe you were involved with it for work or something.

Sarcasmo said:
I spend about $60/week at happy hours with friends. I'd MUCH rather get out and be social and drool over hot women. But I mean whatever floats your boat, I just thought maybe you were involved with it for work or something.

Work is part of it for sure, although I do think I would spend the money for it even if my work didn't require it. I write a lot of software and the dual core architecture of the athlon X2 CPUs compile my code 3 times faster than any processor I have had before. Also, it will still run other stuff really snappy while code is compiling. Makes me a lot more efficient.

It's not like I sit in my back room all day/night and bang away on my keyboard while drinking tang and eating potato chips. The wife and I go out and hang out with people, we just aren't big bar socialites. Although we do like to go out and listen to live music which will often place you in a pub setting.

Edit: the server that I mentioned in my first post in this thread was bought for my office on office budget, I would never buy something like that for my house. That thing was just shy of $14k