Comcast is a bunch of fags

can you get verizon FIOS?

Dont do this. Their billing system is LEGENDARY in its massive fuckups. TV, internet, or phone randomly disconnected, $700+/mo bills, HORRIBLE customer service. I can name at least 10 people I work with that have had one or more of these issues, starting with me.

Verizon. DSL FTW anyway. At least you get dedicated bandwidth rather than sharing with everyone on your block.

This used to be a problem years ago, and is still somewhat a problem in inner cities. Most nodes are fiber fed now, and a node is smaller than they used to be. Sometimes servicing less than 50 customers. And if you think about it, probably only 5 of those if that are actually using their bandwidth at full capacity all of the time. So there is still quite a bit of capacity in the cable.

In short, cable internet (node wise) has a lot of bandwidth that isn't easily swallowed up in most cases.

2nd thing, yes DSL is affected by distance from the CO or a remote terminal, but also affected by the wire gauge of the plant and customer premise wiring. Not all of that ancient 60+ yr old cable in your house is bad. A lot of that older cable is a much thicker gauge than what is commonly used these days, thus less signal loss per foot.

3rd thing, most DSL plans even business do not guarantee the amount of bandwidth you'll get due to the 2nd thing I discussed, and also because they'd have to offer an SLA on that, which most don't bother. They'd rather have you purchase a T1 or some other line that is fully managed and dedicated bandwidth

4th thing, the argument that sharing your bandwidth with your neighborhood thing on cable modem is kinda stupid. It is splitting hairs saying "sharing bandwidth with your neighborhood" vs. sharing the bandwidth fed to the DSLAM in the CO. It is just further down the line. If the DSLAM is full or overloaded you can run into the same issues with capacity problems just like a cable node. It's all about how the company handles the capacity issues. Do they proactively fix it, or just wait till customers complain. In the case of VZ, they usually wait until people complain. And if you are lucky they might even move your circuit to less overloaded DSLAM or card in the DSLAM. see the dslreports vz dsl forum for numerous complaints on that.

that said, I've had both DSL and Cable (currently with cable). I would have stayed with DSL but I couldn't get the speeds I needed due to the technical limitations of ADSL distances.

This used to be a problem years ago, and is still somewhat a problem in inner cities. Most nodes are fiber fed now, and a node is smaller than they used to be. Sometimes servicing less than 50 customers. And if you think about it, probably only 5 of those if that are actually using their bandwidth at full capacity all of the time. So there is still quite a bit of capacity in the cable.

In short, cable internet (node wise) has a lot of bandwidth that isn't easily swallowed up in most cases.

2nd thing, yes DSL is affected by distance from the CO or a remote terminal, but also affected by the wire gauge of the plant and customer premise wiring. Not all of that ancient 60+ yr old cable in your house is bad. A lot of that older cable is a much thicker gauge than what is commonly used these days, thus less signal loss per foot.

3rd thing, most DSL plans even business do not guarantee the amount of bandwidth you'll get due to the 2nd thing I discussed, and also because they'd have to offer an SLA on that, which most don't bother. They'd rather have you purchase a T1 or some other line that is fully managed and dedicated bandwidth

4th thing, the argument that sharing your bandwidth with your neighborhood thing on cable modem is kinda stupid. It is splitting hairs saying "sharing bandwidth with your neighborhood" vs. sharing the bandwidth fed to the DSLAM in the CO. It is just further down the line. If the DSLAM is full or overloaded you can run into the same issues with capacity problems just like a cable node. It's all about how the company handles the capacity issues. Do they proactively fix it, or just wait till customers complain. In the case of VZ, they usually wait until people complain. And if you are lucky they might even move your circuit to less overloaded DSLAM or card in the DSLAM. see the dslreports vz dsl forum for numerous complaints on that.

that said, I've had both DSL and Cable (currently with cable). I would have stayed with DSL but I couldn't get the speeds I needed due to the technical limitations of ADSL distances.
Well, then someone might want to inform Comcast in Atlanta of these revelations in technology. Everyone I know had dumped it because of sketch service. Work won't even reimburse you for cable internet anymore because it was seen as too unreliable.

"...the speeds I needed..."
wat? Its home service. No one needs speed at home. Its awesome to have, but you don't need it.

Well, then someone might want to inform Comcast in Atlanta of these revelations in technology. Everyone I know had dumped it because of sketch service. Work won't even reimburse you for cable internet anymore because it was seen as too unreliable.
Well, I was just trying to debunk the generalization that cable internet has more capacity problems than DSL. Also I have no direct experience with Comcast, as Maine only has a small percentage of cable subscribers with them, and that they weren't natively Comcast years ago. Comcast bought a cable operator up here. And now they are looking to sell them. :lol:

wat? Its home service. No one needs speed at home. Its awesome to have, but you don't need it.
Actually I do need speed. Particularly upload. As I'm self-employed and have 2 VoIP lines, speed is important to me. Allows me to multitask better. Being on the phone and doing an online backup at the same time when I had DSL was a horrible experience. Now with cable, I can do my online backup (takes less time now) and be on the phone and not lose phone quality. Thus a month ago I got Business class cable. It's pretty sweet so far. TWC has done a lot of improvements in the years since I left Adelphia.

Oh one thing I'll definitely hand DSL over cable is security. TWC doesn't encrypt any traffic between the CMTS and your cable modem, so with a hacked modem, you could see your neighbor's traffic if you wanted to. TWC could encrypt the traffic as the technology is embedded in the cable modem and supported by most modern CMTS units. I have a feeling that enabling encryption system wide would be too much of a support hassle and also lower speeds, due the processors on the cable modem having to decrypt and encrypt packets. Obviously DSL doesn't suffer this issue as the router connected to the DSLAM takes care of where traffic goes.

Which begs the questions

1) How do you know it smells like those

and

2) How do you know what Hobo Dick smells like.

Well, Damon was trolling, so you have to have to hypothesize what he smells like. Everyone knows he is a gigantic fgt. Buggery is considered a hallmark of fgtry. Anal-eaze (or similar products) are used in cases where buggery is performed regularly or the recipient is a candy ass. Damon is a candy ass and trolls often. This tells us he can also sit comfortably long enough to type on a computer, so he must be using some kinda lube, otherwise, he wouldn't be able to sit. As for the hobo part, its not necessary to know what it smells like, only to consider what kind of person would be having sex with Damon. Its true Texas is full of queers and steers, but queers have high standards. Hobos will have sex with anyone and practically anything.

Q.E.D.

comcast always worked great for me here and I always had my full bandwidth there whenever I ran a speed checker

Well, Damon was trolling, so you have to have to hypothesize what he smells like. Everyone knows he is a gigantic fgt. Buggery is considered a hallmark of fgtry. Anal-eaze (or similar products) are used in cases where buggery is performed regularly or the recipient is a candy ass. Damon is a candy ass and trolls often. This tells us he can also sit comfortably long enough to type on a computer, so he must be using some kinda lube, otherwise, he wouldn't be able to sit. As for the hobo part, its not necessary to know what it smells like, only to consider what kind of person would be having sex with Damon. Its true Texas is full of queers and steers, but queers have high standards. Hobos will have sex with anyone and practically anything.

Q.E.D.

cliffs?