Mean Mr. Mustard

Always shouts out something obscene
Sep 30, 2004
Uranus
Marklar
₥51,346
Steam
heyfubuddy
So my cable connection at the house has been really spotty lately. Dropping constantly, but picking back up in just a few minutes.
So I read somewhere that part of that was due to old modems. Mine was pretty old...4 years or so. So I went to the comcast store and told the lady my old one was was busted and I needed a new one. They swapped it out no questions asked. Great! Well not so much.
I set the new one up, but all I can get to is a goddamn "welcome to comcast" screen. It has two options "customer" and "tech", the customer one wants me to download a setup program, which doesnt work, and the tech link gives me an error.
Tech support was zero goddamn help. One lady said she could see my modem and everything should be ok, while another guy said he couldnt even see the modem. Fucking incompetents.
So theyre sending a truck out "sometime" on thursday. Fucking thursday.

So do any of you folks that actually know this stuff have any ideas?

BTW Im thiefing one of my neighbors wireless to post this:fly: I have to sit outside tho & its a really weak signal, otherwise Id just use it forever.

So my cable connection at the house has been really spotty lately. Dropping constantly, but picking back up in just a few minutes.
So I read somewhere that part of that was due to old modems. Mine was pretty old...4 years or so. So I went to the comcast store and told the lady my old one was was busted and I needed a new one. They swapped it out no questions asked. Great! Well not so much.
I set the new one up, but all I can get to is a goddamn "welcome to comcast" screen. It has two options "customer" and "tech", the customer one wants me to download a setup program, which doesnt work, and the tech link gives me an error.
Tech support was zero goddamn help. One lady said she could see my modem and everything should be ok, while another guy said he couldnt even see the modem. Fucking incompetents.
So theyre sending a truck out "sometime" on thursday. Fucking thursday.

So do any of you folks that actually know this stuff have any ideas?

BTW Im thiefing one of my neighbors wireless to post this:fly: I have to sit outside tho & its a really weak signal, otherwise Id just use it forever.

Lazy bastards that screw up your tech? Wouldn't that technically make them "a bunch of Zac's?"

:fly46::fly46::fly46:

True, but isn't the latency supposed to be lower?

I've never had DSL, only cable.

I'll sign up for FIOS if they ever decide to run it in my neighborhood.

I've never noticed a discernible difference other than speed...I'm on dsl right now and get 1mb both directions...my comcrap cable at my old place was something like 8mb down and 1-2 up

plug modem directly into computer... use ethernet, not the gay USB. then goto http://192.168.100.1/

if that doesnt come up, then it's something between your computer and your modem.

if that works, then plug the coax into your modem... no routers should be involved anywhere in this process.

once you get it all setup and online, then add in routers and whatever else.

DSL speed, at least when I used it, has everything to do with distance from the CO. I had it in an apartment and it rocked. I moved and took it with me and it sucked. I checked my distance in my current neighborhood and it's too far away. Cable here has plenty of bandwidth to go around because I'm in a poor neighborhood.