Hawt Colorado Floods

This is why I have to have 3 separate policies
Standard homeowners insurance
Hurricane "windstorm" insurance
Flood insurance
The cost is rediculous:rolleyes:

What they were saying here is most flood policies actually require two separate flood polices. One flood for the building and one flood for the personal items.

I never troll or hit the forum up for assistance but I'm asking everyone now. A dear friend of mine lost his house, all of his belongings, and vehicles to the flood we experienced in CO. Like 99% of the people affected flood insurance wasn't carried (because it was never needed) and their homeowners will not be covering anything. After 36 hours his family was airlifted out but he was forced to walk because the National Guard refused to take his dog in the helicopter. He instead risked his life and hiked with his dog out of a flooded canyon and joined his family later. We've already done local donations to help with the immediate items like clothing for his two boys (4 and 3) and gift cards for other items. What I'm asking the forum to assist with is getting this link out on FB, Twitter, bathroom walls, whatever means you have to get the story out. We are hoping we can help raise enough money to assist him and others in the area who are affected. Thanks everyone for your help.

http://www.gofundme.com/McCroskey-Family-Fund

sean_zps3e12ed3e.jpg

"The storms in Colorado has left Sean, Meg, Greyson (4) and Carter (3) without a home and transportation.

On Thursday afternoon when the a flood wipe their sheds and one of their cars down the hill Sean and Meg made a quick decision. They grabbed backpacks, loaded them with some of the boys clothes and they, with the boys and their dog, and hiked many miles up the canyon to a friend’s house that still had power. There last view of the house as they left was water lapping at the house. To give perspective they had a year round small creek (could not even sustain fish) that was located 35 feet lower than their house and in a few hours it had become raging river that was dragging anything down the hill with it. Sean hiked back down to the house the next morning and found his house was destroyed. While there he did find his cat that they had left behind because they could not find it when they left.

Over the next 36 hours they coordinated with rescue teams and after hiking for several more miles he was able to get Meg, the boys and their cat airlifted out via helicopter. He and his dog hiked several more miles up the mountain and found a home that took him in and gave him transportation around the flooding.

Their story of survival is just one of thousands of stories that will come out over the next few weeks. This storm had larger flooding than Katrina, 1500 homes have been lost, 19K homes have been damaged and 1200 people are still unaccounted for. Sean and his family are lucky as they survived without injury and they have a great network of family, friends and co-workers. But that is not enough. This morning it was confirmed that their home insurance will not cover any of the loss. Please join me in contributing to a fund that can assist them during this tough time."

This is really sad & crazy!!

To play a Domon for once though...it looks like the house was sitting in a valley, judging by the hill/(canyon?) behind it in the picture. The mention of the creek, coupled with Colorado=snow, I have to wonder why they actually didn't have flood insurance.

One example - Massive snow + warmer temps the next fews days = flooding. Where is the melting snow supposed to go? The lower lying areas, filling waterways first, (their creek). Just because it hasn't ever happened before, or hasn't happened in like 40 + years, doesn't mean it will never happen or happen again.

The logistics alone would have been enough for me to purchase flood insurance. Never ever go by history. Shit happens. Mother nature is a bitch.

They have government assistance for this which everyone pays taxes for. They'll be fine.

This. I don't understand how flood insurance has to be a separate thing. Insurance is to protect your home from damage yet you then have to specify what kind of damage? Insurance is so messed up.

the vast majority of ppl will never need flood insurance so it becomes a rider/optional for those that want it. Then, you get insurance co's that specialize in 'flood' claims, & then offer their 'flood' insurance to compete with the rider from the homeowners policy. So the marketplace has effectively developed and presented you another alternative. If it's cheaper or has preferred coverage, the homeowner can choose to get it from whatever policies they've reviewed.

To play a Domon for once though...it looks like the house was sitting in a valley, judging by the hill/(canyon?) behind it in the picture. The mention of the creek, coupled with Colorado=snow, I have to wonder why they actually didn't have flood insurance.

One example - Massive snow + warmer temps the next fews days = flooding. Where is the melting snow supposed to go? The lower lying areas, filling waterways first, (their creek). Just because it hasn't ever happened before, or hasn't happened in like 40 + years, doesn't mean it will never happen or happen again.

The logistics alone would have been enough for me to purchase flood insurance. Never ever go by history. Shit happens. Mother nature is a bitch.

I actually declined making the domoncomment i was going to make earlier, which was this: Did he live on a required or strongly recommended flood-insurance property? What was the flood plain rating of this home?

I actually declined making the domoncomment i was going to make earlier, which was this: Did he live on a required or strongly recommended flood-insurance property? What was the flood plain rating of this home?

So I beat Doman at a Domon?!? :fly:

Snowpack is in the high mountains proper and flows the other way. This is not much higher than Denver and gets the same weather of no snow build up.

i had no idea this happened.
i also read on twitter briefly that there was a mass shooting somewhere in the USA... damn you ppl are fuct.

anyhoo sorry about your rough times colorado. i like you as a state.

Holy shit, these dudes have raised $50,000 already. That's awesome.

Yeah we are super happy with the numbers so far. Defiantly shows there is still some humanity out there. I just got off the phone with him about 20 minutes ago to see how everything's been going. One of their boys started having seizures so they've now been in the hospital dealing with that. Poor guy can't catch a break.