Colbert is really f'n doing it

People voted in Arnold, and frekin Jesse The body Ventura into office. People are stupid enough, it's a popularity contest.

Ventura was a mayor before running for governor and Arnie served in a couple of political appointments on health and fitness and whatnot. Doesn't matter though, those guys ran states. That's a completely different animal from being in charge of over 300 million people in the most powerful and influential nation on the planet.

If Colbert could get a HOR seat or run his home state for a term then he'd have at least an inkling of what it takes to be in a political office.

Come on, the thought is fun... but it will not hold up. Let me enjoy the thought of this comedian being more competent than Bush.

It's not really fun when it turns our political system into a joke. It's already broken enough as it is, we don't need Colbert making it even worse and teaching an entire generation of high schoolers and uppity college freshmen that running for office shouldn't be taken seriously. It's one thing to announce it on the show but to actually file the papers for it? Again, it's the character running for office, not the actual real person. He makes this very clear by only promoting his campaign in-character.

It's not really fun when it turns our political system into a joke. It's already broken enough as it is, we don't need Colbert making it even worse and teaching an entire generation of high schoolers and uppity college freshmen that running for office shouldn't be taken seriously. It's one thing to announce it on the show but to actually file the papers for it? Again, it's the character running for office, not the actual real person. He makes this very clear by only promoting his campaign in-character.

need I remind you we had RONALD REAGAN as a pres?

Except that the president is a show piece for our country. do you think clinton got a lot of other countries to do his bidding because he was a good politician? No, because he was charismatic.

The president has underlings to do his/her bidding. He/she is just a mouthpiece that looks and sound pretty.

That being said, the key point here is experience. Reagan was an actor but at least he ran a damn state before trying to run a country. If people are stupid enough to vote for a guy just because he makes them chuckle then they deserve another Bush clone.
one of the cornerstone principles of democracy is that you don't need experience to lead. citizen statesmen. demanding experience just leads to what we have now, a bunch of career politicians more focussed on getting reelected than running the country.

Except that the president is a show piece for our country. do you think clinton got a lot of other countries to do his bidding because he was a good politician? No, because he was charismatic.

The president has underlings to do his/her bidding. He/she is just a mouthpiece that looks and sound pretty.

The office of POTUS is a LOT more involved than just getting people to do things for you. Clinton was indeed a good politician as well as being charismatic. But none of that changes the fact that having the experience of political office is damned necessary for running the entire country.

Again, I realize that Colbert's stunt is just a joke (and a fucking horrible one at that, he's only doing more damage to our already screwed up system) but the bottom line remains that there are idiots out there who think he'd be a good president because he makes them laugh.

one of the cornerstone principles of democracy is that you don't need experience to lead. citizen statesmen. demanding experience just leads to what we have now, a bunch of career politicians more focussed on getting reelected than running the country.

You do need experience to lead. It may not be a requirement in the Constitution but in this day and age it would be absolutely insane to make someone the most powerful person on the planet without ever having seen if that person actually knows how to hold a political office. Being president isn't just about "leading", it's about making decisions that alter the course of history and managing the most influential country on earth.

Why, oh why can't we have a president like President Palmer.

nomoremrnicegauis.jpg

It's from Battlestar Gallactica which starts up this month. :omy: I'm so excited.

I wish it was...:( we get the two hour Razor movie but that's it until next April....if the WGA doesn't strike :omy:

and scifi still hasn't decided whether or not to split season 4 in half and show the second half in 2009 :rolleyes:

I wish it was...:( we get the two hour Razor movie but that's it until next April....if the WGA doesn't strike :omy:

and scifi still hasn't decided whether or not to split season 4 in half and show the second half in 2009 :rolleyes:

I know similar pains being addicted to the 4400 :(

You do need experience to lead. It may not be a requirement in the Constitution but in this day and age it would be absolutely insane to make someone the most powerful person on the planet without ever having seen if that person actually knows how to hold a political office. Being president isn't just about "leading", it's about making decisions that alter the course of history and managing the most influential country on earth.

I hope you don't really think that any action or position can prepare you for the office of the President. There is no preparation for that. Are you maybe just referring to a track record?