WTF CAMPING (and outdoors-like stuff)

runs for 10 hours real usage at full brightness. Ive used it for that, before it drops off.

4 aaa's, fully waterproof, dustproof.

I own several headlamps that i use on a near daily basis in normal life.

Dont buy shitty headlamps though, that ones a shitty headlamp. Its bright as fuck, but the battery life sucks
what makes them good? When I look through them, they all look cheap (I've had mine for a year) so for $8 (including batteries) its replacable.

Also, whenever you're finished camping, take ALL of the batteries out of EVERYTHING. If the batteries corrode, they ruin your equipment and you generally figure it out right when you NEED the equipment because you're trying to use it onsite on the next trip. & If you're camping alone there's no one else to borrow one from!

Last edited:
more efficient battery usage. My cheapy one (it may actually be that identical one you linked) runs for maybe 25 minutes max. The good brands run for many hours.

runs for 10 hours real usage at full brightness. Ive used it for that, before it drops off.

4 aaa's, fully waterproof, dustproof.
$60???

Not for me. I can buy countless headlamps. Runs on 3 AAA's and be good for an entire weekend (probably 1hr/night/3 nights). I take the batteries out after teh camping trip & use them for something else prior to reloading before next camping trip. It's disposable when it finally breaks.

Holy moly.

• Gravy
Reactions: Peppers
Also, one of the most valuable tips I could give about getting decent camping equipment is - Keep your eye on craigslist.

There's a shit ton of wives that finally have gotten their husbands to sell the pristine, top of the line, camping gear for the hobby that got "kind of used" once and is now just collectin dust taking up space next to several other did it once and done hobbys. :p

I like this one better.
hmmm. What member could this be?

sun-company-t-rex-tyrannosaurus-dinosaur-dinobryte-led-headlamp-light-nothing-but-dinosaurs-dino-nbd-2.jpg

just get the normal energizer headlamps available at any home depot, lowes, walmart, etc. for 20 bucks.

i only bring a small headlamp and a key chain flashlight (for in the tent) when camping. no need for anything more.

$60???

Not for me. I can buy countless headlamps. Runs on 3 AAA's and be good for an entire weekend (probably 1hr/night/3 nights). I take the batteries out after teh camping trip & use them for something else prior to reloading before next camping trip. It's disposable when it finally breaks.

Holy moly.
I bought a cheap headlamp about 15 years ago to wear when I'm walking into the woods in the morning to go bow hurting. Still works fine!

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
We have this giant, two room, 10 person tent that Dan can stand up in. It's awesome. I think it's made by Coleman. Not my favorite manufacturer, but we've camped in rain and cold and it's been perfect. The stakes suck a little but picking up more sturdy tent stakes is no big deal.

@APRIL @fly whatever tent you end up with, check how many ground stakes you need and buy real ones. 99% of the tents come with ones that are little more than bent coat hanger looking stakes (& they perform like coat hangers too!)

these coleman ones are fine http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-10-Tent-Stakes/13848624

but, the plastic thingy breaks. Don't worry. It's not a crisis in the field. Also, make sure you have something to pull the stakes out with & never use the tent loop to pull out the stake. It's an easy way to rip holes in your tent. If you bring a camp axe you can use that in various ways to get out stakes. fwiw, I don't like plastic stakes. They're bigger and if the ground is hard they're a bitch to get in and out.