Food Bacon Bacon Bacon

well, you gotta cure it first to get that real bacon-y flavour. That scares a lot of people off...finding curing salt is pretty easy, but it's important to do it right. The curing process takes about a week, massaging it every day, then another day for drying, then a few hours of smoking. It's not necessarily cheaper than buying bacon, but there's really not anything I can think of that makes you feel more manly than making your own bacon.
FWIW, he already makes his own jerky, bread, and candy/chocolates.

Going to try and convince him this weekend while we are visiting

well, you gotta cure it first to get that real bacon-y flavour. That scares a lot of people off...finding curing salt is pretty easy, but it's important to do it right. The curing process takes about a week, massaging it every day, then another day for drying, then a few hours of smoking. It's not necessarily cheaper than buying bacon, but there's really not anything I can think of that makes you feel more manly than making your own bacon.

Raising, killing, dressing, then preparing the critter that makes the bacon. That'll do pig. That'll do. Although, I'm not so sure wild boar would make good bacon. I need to hunt one of those someday and find out.

This is my homemade bacon, maple cure, maple smoked:

Getting ready for the cure:

ztlrQ.jpg

Smoked:

UwrRc.jpg

Sliced and packaged:

BP0ld.jpg

5 lbs of pork belly made about 4 lbs of bacon. Next time, I'm gonna start with 20 lbs....

oh. my. :drool:iness. my mouth is watering.