ask a european anything

Since the Good Friday accord was signed back in 1999, and, at least to us ignorant foreigners, seemed to be the end of the violence, how come 10 years later many are still calling todays actions a blow to the 'peace process'. After 10 years, would we not stop calling it a 'process'?

this was a popular referendum - there was quite a large "No" lobby [lead by Sinn Fein/DUP - both 'hate' each other. i'll come back to this]. the good friday agreement was sort of a first steps towards devolution here. the two parties in charge of northern ireland then have since faded into the political wilderness [UUP and SDLP] while the more radical parties of the DUP and Sinn Fein have stepped into that vacuum. both parties are still 100% self-serving, and seem to agree when it comes to ego.

there are still people who think that Sinn Fein should have never agreed to joint government with the DUP [St Andrews Agreement] as this was essentially selling out and forgoing a united ireland. sinn fein being the party that advocates the united ireland stance. now that mainstream republicanism is sitting in a british system of government presiding over a british devolved state, a minority of people are very wound up over it all.

the idea behind the shooting of the two soldiers was for these outcasts to try and get soldiers back on the streets here in n.ireland, an optical justification for their beliefs. it's a vast overreaction on the part of the british government they want that will help to fuel their ideology.

process? yup, i don't know anyone in n.ireland who doesn't want a lasting peace. but 400 years doesn't melt from memory easily.

this was a popular referendum - there was quite a large "No" lobby [lead by Sinn Fein/DUP - both 'hate' each other. i'll come back to this]. the good friday agreement was sort of a first steps towards devolution here. the two parties in charge of northern ireland then have since faded into the political wilderness [UUP and SDLP] while the more radical parties of the DUP and Sinn Fein have stepped into that vacuum. both parties are still 100% self-serving, and seem to agree when it comes to ego.

there are still people who think that Sinn Fein should have never agreed to joint government with the DUP [St Andrews Agreement] as this was essentially selling out and forgoing a united ireland. sinn fein being the party that advocates the united ireland stance. now that mainstream republicanism is sitting in a british system of government presiding over a british devolved state, a minority of people are very wound up over it all.

the idea behind the shooting of the two soldiers was for these outcasts to try and get soldiers back on the streets here in n.ireland, an optical justification for their beliefs. it's a vast overreaction on the part of the british government they want that will help to fuel their ideology.

process? yup, i don't know anyone in n.ireland who doesn't want a lasting peace. but 400 years doesn't melt from memory easily.

Interesting. Thanks for that answer.

For my next question, is Bruges really considered a shithole?

Could a united ireland make a viable independent country?

I only ask this becuase I know there's arguements that scotland couldn't.

Republic of Ireland had a fantastic economy until recently with the credit crunch.

I don't know N. Ireland is 1/3rd employed by the UK Civil Service - almost all the government work is carried out here. If the Brits were to pull out, I don't know where they'd all go.

That being said, Ireland doesn't want us. Neither does the UK.

Seeing as you're now a qausi expert on the french, is it true they rarely bathe, change clothes, and generally smell bad? do the chicks shave their armpits and legs yet? what about other countries across europe?

Seeing as you're now a qausi expert on the french, is it true they rarely bathe, change clothes, and generally smell bad? do the chicks shave their armpits and legs yet? what about other countries across europe?

french women tended to be very well kept - i must say. they certainly don't smell anyway. there's nothing that smells as nice as a parisienne girl.

most europeans have fallen into the whole shaving thing. personally, i think it's a pile of cock. as long as a filly shaves her flaps and keeps a tuft above i'm set. fuck this waxing keek, place like a fucking ice rink.

how big of a role does religion play throughout different regions of europe? is organized religion still a pretty popular thing over there, or is it about half and half like it is here nowadays? i'd say 90%+ of americans are religious, but maybe 50% do the whole church/mosque/synagogue thing on a regular basis.

what are the current political parties in northern ireland? what is the stance of each on a united ireland? what is the religious affiliation (if any) of each party?

how does the catholic/protestant fight relate to the northern ireland/british rule fight?

is there anyone seeking a northern irish state independent of ireland and great britain?

After reading a few of your answers, I got the impression that N. Ireland is almost viewed as the palestine of the U.K. Is that a vastly overblown impression? And, if not, how come the rest of ireland seems so disinterested in N. Ireland?

does western europe have alot of areas still blown to shit from ww2? like wreckage or halfway demolished buildings that were never cleared or repaired and just left, or possible declared some sort of memorial or attraction or something?

how big of a role does religion play throughout different regions of europe? is organized religion still a pretty popular thing over there, or is it about half and half like it is here nowadays? i'd say 90%+ of americans are religious, but maybe 50% do the whole church/mosque/synagogue thing on a regular basis.

pretty big in the former soviet block - church numbers have dwindled here in the west for the past 20 years, especially so in ireland.

with the influx of migrant workers though the church numbers have been going up week on week.

perhaps a better example would be that my graduating class from a jesuit school had ~40 pupils in it, of those 40, 1 guy still goes to mass on a regular basis, despite it being drummed into us weekly. religion isn't really important here anymore, that's why those whole superchurch jesus wants you to be happy places never really took root here. we're not very good at it all.