[Article] Article: contest - submit an article, win stuff from amazon

Article #1 submitted, slightly on the nerdy side. Currently designing a 'stonerbox' for a friend, might end up putting up an article on that too.

Well, I was over at a friends' house and they spent a bunch of money on a wooden box.

3 pieces that stick together with magnets - top lid, middle section (where you keep your 'legal herbs') which has a fine mesh screen in the bottom of it that lets resin fall through, and a bottom that holds the resin. Problem is the box doesn't really fit together all that well, the magnets aren't all that strong, etc. It's really cheaply built.

Sketching a couple different concepts on graph paper right now. Seems like a fairly easy router table job, only thing is I'm not really sure how I'm gonna do the corners.

Well, I was over at a friends' house and they spent a bunch of money on a wooden box.

3 pieces that stick together with magnets - top lid, middle section (where you keep your 'legal herbs') which has a fine mesh screen in the bottom of it that lets resin fall through, and a bottom that holds the resin. Problem is the box doesn't really fit together all that well, the magnets aren't all that strong, etc. It's really cheaply built.

Sketching a couple different concepts on graph paper right now. Seems like a fairly easy router table job, only thing is I'm not really sure how I'm gonna do the corners.

link to corner design? Dovetails, box joints, what?

Normally I'd do a 45 degree cut using a miter box, but want something a bit nicer.

Thinking I'll make everything using thin strips of a bunch of different kinds of hardwood, and overlap them in the corners to make pseudo finger joints.

miters suck for strength anyway, i wouldnt do it unless you did some sort of biscuiting or doweling in addition.

Thin strips sounds good, the poor mans box joint. thatll work well.

Plan:

- Buy a bunch of 1/2" square wood strips of various types, run them through a thickness planer to get them down to 3/8" x 1/2".
- Buy "shelves" - 1/8" to 3/16" thick hardwood, 3" wide. Probably 1/4" by 3" run through a planer, cut 5" long. These are top, bottom and the center 'screen holder'
- Cut strips to exact lengths.
- Route 1/4" slots in a few of the strips, to hold the shelves.
- Stack everything up and glue it, to form the 3 parts of the box including shelves.
- Route edges on the router table to make 'em nice and purdy, and route lips on the box parts so they interlock.
- Drill holes for rod magnets, glue these in place.
- Varnish everything.

This is a simple "herb storage" box. Might add a simple 'flip lid' to the top which gives storage for a pack of papers or something. Not 100% sure yet - need to consult with the stoners a bit more and make sure the thing's as useful as it should be.

Unfortunately, consulting with stoners will lead to questions like, "dude, could you build a scale into it?"

Plan:

- Buy a bunch of 1/2" square wood strips of various types, run them through a thickness planer to get them down to 3/8" x 1/2".
- Buy "shelves" - 1/8" to 3/16" thick hardwood, 3" wide. Probably 1/4" by 3" run through a planer, cut 5" long. These are top, bottom and the center 'screen holder'
- Stack everything up and glue it, to form the 3 parts of the box including shelves.
- Route edges on the router table to make 'em nice and purdy, and route lips on the box parts so they interlock.
- Varnish everything.

This is a simple "herb storage" box. Might add a simple 'flip lid' to the top which gives storage for a pack of papers or something. Not 100% sure yet - need to consult with the stoners a bit more and make sure the thing's as useful as it should be.

Unfortunately, consulting with stoners will lead to questions like, "dude, could you build a scale into it?"

then they would know exactly how much is in their stash. You should do it

Plan:

- Varnish everything.

If you can add an automated grow op and rolling machine I would buy one. How much? $20?

Edit: that sounds super nice actually. I have a need for a small woods box actually, lmk if you plan to sell these. My daughter wants a small jewelry box. Would you be willing to do a 2 part one?

Last edited:
If you can add an automated grow op and rolling machine I would buy one. How much? $20?

Edit: that sounds super nice actually. I have a need for a small woods box actually, lmk if you plan to sell these. My daughter wants a small jewelry box. Would you be willing to do a 2 part one?

You're gonna put weed in your daughter's jewelry box? DAD OF YEAR!!!