anyone here skip a grade?

Bad idea. You end up sticking your kid with kids who are much more socially advanced. Then you end up getting made fun of for being the smart runt and no one likes you.

My parents were asked if they would let me skip a grade, but it would have put me in a class with my older brother, so they declined.

Thanks for holding me back mom!

My parents were asked if they would let me skip a grade, but it would have put me in a class with my older brother, so they declined.

Thanks for holding me back mom!

They tried to put me into advanced classes when I was in elementary school but I cried my way out of it :fly:

yeah, fly's right. bad move IMO. ESPECIALLY if the kid may be an athlete. in fact, i recommend HOLDING A KID BACK a year if they are one of those winter babies who could go either one year or the next.

i bet if you did some research you'd find that a large percentage of HS All Americans were 19 their senior year. if my freshman year of college would've been my senior year of HS I'd have gone D1 hoops instead of JuCo and D2.

and yes, I was asked if I wanted to move up and the 'rents said no.

for all the aforementioned social reasons as well. bad idea.

i wish i'd been bumped up a grade, or at least gone to a harder school. when you can coast for 12 years it's hard to develop a work ethic at the end.

I started kindergarten when I was just barely 5 years old and they wanted me to go in at age 6...thing is I was testing academically above whatever the kindergarten standards were so in I went.

Fast forward a year, they wanted to hold me back because of immaturity and social problems. (yes I flunked kindergarten). But I could read, add, and do other skills above the level of the other students so my parents opted to let me go on.

I never did well socially in school but was always above average academically. So I think there is a trade off there. You just have to weigh in whether the risk is worth the reward...also you could keep her in the regular grade for her age and provide after school tutoring for added academic advancement.

But who knows, I might have been socially inept at any age so it's really hard to say.

if so, what are your thoughts on it? pros? cons? ages?

i'm just curious.

I started school a year early. The only time it was weird was in Middle School to High School, when girls would talk about developmental stuff that hadn't happened to me yet. But I got boobs before them so they can fuck off.

damn bitches.