Anyone else's computers crashing today?

Fat Burger

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
Portland, OR
www.heartboxers.com
Marklar
₥0
So far we have three separate clients who have computers crashing with similar symptoms. Two are medium sized private medical clinics, and have several Windows XP machines crashing. The third is a one-PC office with no server or anything. All three clients are exhibiting the same symptoms:

• Programs crash constantly, even logon scripts. Sometimes it crashes as soon as you double-click on it. There’s no noticeable pattern to what programs crash.
• Windows gives strange “access denied” messages in places you should never be denied access: e.g. going to Properties for My Computer (even under local or domain admin accounts)
• The Windows license suddenly reports as invalid upon logon – generally when this happens, it drops you back to the logon screen, rendering the computer completely unusable. Message is “ problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer.”

Is this happening for anyone else? We're all trying to figure out what's going on, and haven't been able to. It all started today. I've ruled out viruses, bad Windows update, etc. There's no similar software between the three clients except for the usual Windows, Office, etc. Antivirus MIGHT be the same, I'm following up on that now, but I'm 99% sure that's not the problem.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I've done virus scans, but it's not spreading as fast as I'd expect a virus to spread. I'm going to call our AV company (Eset) anyway, since that's the only similar product between the three. Maybe they released a bad update like Trend did earlier in the week.

nada here. only things that have changed on our machines this week were the usual updates from microsoft, and everything is running fine.

we use symantec corporate.