Thread Any Jews on this forum? I have a question for you

It's tradition, culture, and partly religion. Also, it's interesting because women carry the mitochondrial DNA so it makes sense biologically if you want to keep your ethnicity solid.

what does mitochondrial DNA have to do with ethnicity? :confused:

This also goes with the way the religion works - the religion is passed through the mother, not the dad. It's not just a thing but how it works for them. Probably also why the Jewish family wasn't happy with you - with you being a non-Jew the kids wouldn't be Jewish.

it was a belief that was arbitrarily changed when they realized "wow a lot of our women are getting raped, maybe we should switch the jewish blood thing from father to mother" and they all went with it because there's absolutely nothing spiritual or holy about this belief, it's just tribalism at its finest

Why is it that Jewish men only want their daughters to date/marry other Jews? Every Jewish man i have asked online has said they would be disappointed if they were not with Jewish men.
'cause they don't want their daughter to marry some white asshole who sucks at money

it was a belief that was arbitrarily changed when they realized "wow a lot of our women are getting raped, maybe we should switch the jewish blood thing from father to mother" and they all went with it because there's absolutely nothing spiritual or holy about this belief, it's just tribalism at its finest
But it's been that way so long I don't discount it - no matter what the reason.

Why is it that Jewish men only want their daughters to date/marry other Jews? Every Jewish man i have asked online has said they would be disappointed if they were not with Jewish men.
I think until recently this would have been true of any religion. My Catholic family would prefer I had married a Catholic. I know lots of rich Protestants who like to marry other rich Protestants. Mormons like to marry Mormons. I married a Jew in a pagan ceremony and my family thought it was pretty odd, but for me, ultimately I was doing what made me happy. I doubt my Jew cares what religion our daughter marries into as long as she is happy and treated well. Then again, my Jew isn't super religious.

But it's been that way so long I don't discount it - no matter what the reason.

I'm not discounting it but it's still a completely arbitrary decision that was just made up. they can believe whatever they want but some beliefs are just stupid silly. it made sense at the time but we have a machine taking pictures of ice mountains on pluto, bronze age sheepherders didn't have many ideas that are valuable today

edit: maybe that's exactly what discounting is. if so then yeah, guilty as charged

I'm not discounting it but it's still a completely arbitrary decision that was just made up. they can believe whatever they want but some beliefs are just stupid silly. it made sense at the time but we have a machine taking pictures of ice mountains on pluto, bronze age sheepherders didn't have many ideas that are valuable today

edit: maybe that's exactly what discounting is. if so then yeah, guilty as charged
But at least it was made for a good reason. Better reason than to just change now simply because the 'need' is gone. It's gone from a way to survive to a tradition. Not a big deal to me. Not that I really care about it in the end.

But at least it was made for a good reason. Better reason than to just change now simply because the 'need' is gone. It's gone from a way to survive to a tradition. Not a big deal to me. Not that I really care about it in the end.
fo shizzle

it made perfect sense at the time since others were trying to rape them out of existence

I'm not saying it should change now because the need is gone but rather that people shouldn't care because the need is gone. "Hey here's a neat tradition from when our people were persecuted. It's a fascinating perspective on our history." "oh cool, do we have to follow that today?" "LOL no, that would be silly"

• Gravy
Reactions: helenabear
fo shizzle

it made perfect sense at the time since others were trying to rape them out of existence

I'm not saying it should change now because the need is gone but rather that people shouldn't care because the need is gone. "Hey here's a neat tradition from when our people were persecuted. It's a fascinating perspective on our history." "oh cool, do we have to follow that today?" "LOL no, that would be silly"
I totally get your point. I can't say your thoughts are wrong either. I'd 'support' them no matter how they looked at it. I work with a lot of Jewish people and the less orthodox the less likely they are to follow the mom only lineage. I know quite a few males marries to non-jew women and still raise their kids as Jewish. So I bet quite a few feel as you stated.

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony
When someone is active in their religion it often permeates the entire culture of the home and family. It's substantially easier if you are both on the same page about traditions and religion in maintaining a home and family. That's my experience at least.

• Gravy
Reactions: eileenbunny and fly
fo shizzle

I for one am still trying to rape them out of existence. Frigging Jews trying to take all the money. Why do you think I married one? Just doing my bit as a good servant of the public.

I for one am still trying to rape them out of existence. Frigging Jews trying to take all the money. Why do you think I married one? Just doing my bit as a good servant of the public.

I don't think the world could handle the biblical levels of snark and sarcasm (snarkasm?) that would come from you two raising jewish children.