Halp Android devices

The dipshit kid dropped his phone on the floor yesterday and now it's broken.

Fi doesn't have any new $50 motorolas in stock, so I'm getting a Pixel 7A (for me, not him). Hopefully it doesn't suck like @fly's pictures that come in like it's 1992 on Gopher.

• Haha
Reactions: fly
The dipshit kid dropped his phone on the floor yesterday and now it's broken.

Fi doesn't have any new $50 motorolas in stock, so I'm getting a Pixel 7A (for me, not him). Hopefully it doesn't suck like @fly's pictures that come in like it's 1992 on Gopher.
FWIW my kids both have the 6a and they've been good phones. Wife and I have 7 pros and they've also been really good. She even smashed hers on the edge of a sink and it didn't bend too much for a screen replacement. Seems pretty sturdy.

I just put an order in for a Pixel 8 Pro. If anyone wants to buy my Pixel 7 Pro, it looks like the average price for an unlocked P7Pro (128GB) in good shape is $390 (last 14 sales on Swappa). Phone has spent its life in a case and with a screen protector. Also, I almost never charge the battery past 80% (most of the time I keep it below 60%). Still have box and shit. You'll probably not find a used phone this well taken care of.

$390 + shipping

Seems like most are android users on this forum, I've been using it since 2010 and don't have any real complaints. I've used a bunch of Samsung as well as unskinned android phones (mostly pixels) without issues and am using a pixel 7 pro now for reference.

I was given an iPhone 14 for work about 6 months ago and using them side by side I think I might prefer the iPhone? Apps are more polished and for someone like me that only uses it for productivity and calls (no games) it's been flawless. Files are handled a bit differently but it's definitely workable.

With the last release of everything it seems like all the phones are basically the same at this point. Android has better notifications and Gboard (especially voice to text) is better than the apple keyboard, but otherwise it seems the same for me. Looking at privacy, apple seems to have an edge but I don't think that's the end of the world.

The only real standout to me is the regular security and feature updates that happen to iOS vs Android. FWIW I'd be looking at the smaller size phone, I'm not really happy I went with the larger "pro" model for my pixel 7 but the smaller one doesn't get the same electronics. That's a big part of the iPhone draw for me, I can get the "pro" electronics in the small form factor.

Is there a compelling reason to stay with android or switch to iPhone? Discuss

Not really.

I think the privacy stuff is mostly overblown Apple hype. Everyone is tracking you, everywhere.

While the ecosystems are pretty similar, you can look at Android as the bleeding edge. All the cool stuff that Android has now, Apple will have in 2-5 years (AirTags and Vision being the rare exceptions). During that time, they will watch to see what works and what doesn't for that tech, and then release their refined version and call it revolutionary.

Not really.

I think the privacy stuff is mostly overblown Apple hype. Everyone is tracking you, everywhere.

While the ecosystems are pretty similar, you can look at Android as the bleeding edge. All the cool stuff that Android has now, Apple will have in 2-5 years (AirTags and Vision being the rare exceptions). During that time, they will watch to see what works and what doesn't for that tech, and then release their refined version and call it revolutionary.
pixel 6pro was the one that kicked off UWB connectivity, but they never deployed a tag that used it.

Not really.

and charge you more++ Seriously high end Samsungs are awesome.

Not really.

For sure, it's nearly impossible to not be tracked at this point. It's not a huge concern but I do enjoy that more of my data stays on the device.

I can understand that but I don't think there's anything I'm using the iPhone doesn't support. It does wireless charging and payments as well as connects to my car. After using carplay and auto, they're both about the same but message replies are better in carplay. The most annoying thing is that I can upload anything to icloud at any time in the background but I can't do that with other apps, even if the setting is enabled.

For sure, it's nearly impossible to not be tracked at this point. It's not a huge concern but I do enjoy that more of my data stays on the device.

I can understand that but I don't think there's anything I'm using the iPhone doesn't support. It does wireless charging and payments as well as connects to my car. After using carplay and auto, they're both about the same but message replies are better in carplay. The most annoying thing is that I can upload anything to icloud at any time in the background but I can't do that with other apps, even if the setting is enabled.
It's just like all Apple stuff. You are choosing something that just works out of the box (and is more expensive) with limited customizability vs something that is more technologically advanced and infinitely customizable but can be a bit dodgy.

thinking about giving a samsung a try. Not a huge fan of my pixel 7, actually liked my 3xl far better.

I want to try some UWB tags, and that almost all the samsung phones have UWB baked in, and the smarttag 2+ looks really solid is appealing.

I know google is about to launch their Find My network, but theres no good devices yet