.. and sleep normally...

Sp`ange

Flaccid Member
Nov 19, 2004
33.745091, -84.390205
www.uselessforums.com
Marklar
₥0
So, my new neurologist wanted me to have another sleep study (the first being 13 years ago) to try to figure out why I sleep so poorly. I dreaded doing it again. I didn't think about bringing a better camera, so I just used my cell phone.

picture.php

This is the comfy bed. Much better than the hospital bed I had last time.

picture.php

Here's the IR camera to record my movements and what-not. Sadly, this prevented me from fully "utilizing" the box of tissues next to the bed. :rolleyes:

picture.php

This is the box all the electrodes and various sensors plugged in to. This is much better than being plugged in to the wall like last time. It made it quite a bit easier to use the bathroom. This box plugged in to the data recorder next to the bed, which the technician accessed over the network.

picture.php

This is some of the crap they stuck to my face and head. Two on my forehead, two near my eyes, two on my chin, two at the base of my skull, two on top of my head, one on my back, left shoulder and two on my chest. But wait, there's more; that damn nose thing up each nostril and hanging thing in front of my mouth, a strap around my chest, a strap around my stomach, two sensors on each shin and a friggin' oxygen sensor on my left, index finger.

All this crap attached to me and a camera pointed at my bed and they say, "Ok, get in bed and sleep normally.."

I went to bed around 11PM and they woke me at 6AM. For the next 8 hours, I was to be awake for 2 hours then take a 20 minute nap. They finally let me go after 3 naps. It's exhausting. They expected me to stay awake for those two hours between naps. Yeah, right. I'm not allowed caffeine, chocolate, nicotine or my faithful, pharmaceutical grade amphetamines and you want me to stay awake. I read my zombie ebooks (shout out to my boy, Knyte! holla holla!) and IMed Thorn via my Blackberry most of the day.

My doctor will get the results and go over them with me some time in the near future. But what the technician said was that I have very shallow sleep and barely even touch the deep sleep. I also fall asleep within' 30 seconds of closing my eyes. Also, during REM sleep, my eyes barely move and my chin doesn't relax like most people. I also do not have sleep apnea.

Basically, I sleep like crap and I'm narcoleptic. It took thousands of dollars worth of equipment to tell what I already knew. Hopefully, it will lead the doctor to a solution for a good night's sleep for me.

/blog

Anyone else, besides mikey, have sleep issues?

I posted about my sleep issues a few days ago. I'm having sleep terrors as often as 8 times a night now which started only 3 weeks or so a go.

Sleep studies aren't done here really as the NHS believes them to be voodoo. A GP can tell the problem without having to watch you sleep, which, in my mind tells you absolutely nothing anyway.

To be honest, I'm just hoping for tranquilizers

Apparently there's something going around, because I've had terrible insomnia for pretty much the entire month of October. It has never been this bad, not in my entire life.

I eat right, exercise, and keep my stress down by not caring about anything, yet I still have trouble staying asleep. I'm hoping it's temporary and I will soon return to normal.

I had the same exact test done. Nurses watch you all night. Then the nap thing during the day was just kinda weird. I'd always fall asleep when they let me nap. The nurses conclusion was that I was just weird.

last few weeks i havnt been sleeping well but i just blame it on the weather turning.

if you didnt have all that crap attached to your head you'd probably sleep alot better. i'm pretty sure i'd be wide awake the entire time with that jungle going on.

i think they just gave you brain cancer with all that stuff.

I knew you had trouble sleeping man, but I had no idea
Too bad you cant just do a couple shots of jager before bed

sadly, alcohol doesn't affect my quality of sleep one way or the other.

now you know why he's such a bitch! :fly: ;)

oh man i'm going to pay for this one. :(

pay you will. In full, with interest.

If you wake up with a woody will it show on camera?

I scratched more than was necessary just for a laugh. :fly:

last few weeks i havnt been sleeping well but i just blame it on the weather turning.

if you didnt have all that crap attached to your head you'd probably sleep alot better. i'm pretty sure i'd be wide awake the entire time with that jungle going on.

i think they just gave you brain cancer with all that stuff.

actually, I slept about the same. The tech did come in the middle of the night to shove that thing back up my nose though.

I only sleep about 5-5.5 hours a night, but it's my own god damned fault. Because of this, I'm tired all the fucking time.

I really need to start getting a minimum of 7, preferably 8. No reason why I can't, I just need to buck up, get off the net, and get my ass to bed. But I dread sleep, and I don't know why. No nightmares, no problems sleeping, but for some reason, I fight sleep like no one's business. I'll be laying in bed, ready to go to sleep, and as my eyes close and I drift in, I actually fight to stay awake.

It's the end of days, I tell you.

I only sleep about 5-5.5 hours a night, but it's my own god damned fault. Because of this, I'm tired all the fucking time.

I really need to start getting a minimum of 7, preferably 8. No reason why I can't, I just need to buck up, get off the net, and get my ass to bed. But I dread sleep, and I don't know why. No nightmares, no problems sleeping, but for some reason, I fight sleep like no one's business. I'll be laying in bed, ready to go to sleep, and as my eyes close and I drift in, I actually fight to stay awake.

It's the end of days, I tell you.

i should get in bed as soon as the kids get to bed so i could have plenty of sleep. but sometimes it's SO HARD to go to bed and know that i have it all to do again tomorrow. it's not the sleep i dread...it's the next-day housework or 50 errands with a cranky baby or something. the night between the kids' bedtime and mine is sacred stuff...i often stretch it out way too far just so it doesn't end just so i don't have to hear the alarm. you know?

i should get in bed as soon as the kids get to bed so i could have plenty of sleep. but sometimes it's SO HARD to go to bed and know that i have it all to do again tomorrow. it's not the sleep i dread...it's the next-day housework or 50 errands with a cranky baby or something. the night between the kids' bedtime and mine is sacred stuff...i often stretch it out way too far just so it doesn't end just so i don't have to hear the alarm. you know?
that's exactly how i feel about having to get up and go to work. i find i go to bed earlier when i don't have work in the morning, just because i'm not bothered by the thought of getting up in the morning.

dante has nothing on us. though a neurologist could be fitting...

How's it work for you?

I'd be tempted to give it a shot and see if I can make them scratch their heads.

They did that the last time I went under, the Russian doc was quite concerned when I was still awake after a certain point saying "Yep, now it's about seven martini's...."

I think he had to get more signatures at that point.