Ontopic Alcohol Blog - Post when you're drinking!

It’s my duct tape and baling wire.
Hey what's up.

This reminds me of an article I read that discussed how if you don't drink it puts people off more than drinking because it's so ingrained culturally that you are essentially breaking the social contract by choosing to always remain sober. Of course not applicable in countries where they don't drink, like Muslim countries, but in western European society it's practically unheard of to be totally dry.

Hey what's up.

This reminds me of an article I read that discussed how if you don't drink it puts people off more than drinking because it's so ingrained culturally that you are essentially breaking the social contract by choosing to always remain sober. Of course not applicable in countries where they don't drink, like Muslim countries, but in western European society it's practically unheard of to be totally dry.
I find this to be fairly accurate with my own perspectives, living in the South I find it instinctually odd that grown people would go out to dinner at a place known for margaritas and order sodas :yuck:

Or having a large party that’s completely dry, also odd.

In the Western sales culture, it seems particularly expected that drinking occurs all day long at anything “offsite”.

I’m certain that a behavior while drinking test was a considerable part of my interview process.

As in, will I still be coherent? Rude? Offensive? Able to converse on a wide set of topics? Strong geographic knowledge? Treat bartenders well?

So much of the sales process is centered around client entertainment, so that makes sense.

I find this to be fairly accurate with my own perspectives, living in the South I find it instinctually odd that grown people would go out to dinner at a place known for margaritas and order sodas :yuck:

Or having a large party that’s completely dry, also odd.

In the Western sales culture, it seems particularly expected that drinking occurs all day long at anything “offsite”.

I’m certain that a behavior while drinking test was a considerable part of my interview process.

As in, will I still be coherent? Rude? Offensive? Able to converse on a wide set of topics? Strong geographic knowledge? Treat bartenders well?

So much of the sales process is centered around client entertainment, so that makes sense.
As a highly functional alcoholic I should've went into sales :lol: I never got into any direct trouble _for_ drinking. Like I always showed up to work on time showered, nails trimmed, clothes pressed, smelling like aftershave my ex used to start crying and pass out in random places, not wash, piss herself, call out sick etc. I always made it a point to drink a bottle of water and take a hot shower before bed.

What started really getting me was the shakes and general pain. I'd go to work and not be able to hold stuff because withdrawals were setting in so I'd start every morning with a cocktail that would hold me over until after lunch then I'd start shaking again but day was almost over and I'd grab enough alcohol to last until 4am ish and just go home and start methodically working my way through say 2 750s of wine mixed with vodka 🤪

Hey what's up.

This is so true. At least in the circles I run in, its certainly odd. The usual suspicion is that someone has/had a problem. I've had a lot of career success thanks to alcohol. Or that's at least what I tell myself. I've seen my fair share of idiots who tried to hang, and just embarrassed themselves in front of work people...

As a highly functional alcoholic I should've went into sales :lol: I never got into any direct trouble _for_ drinking. Like I always showed up to work on time showered, nails trimmed, clothes pressed, smelling like aftershave my ex used to start crying and pass out in random places, not wash, piss herself, call out sick etc. I always made it a point to drink a bottle of water and take a hot shower before bed.

What started really getting me was the shakes and general pain. I'd go to work and not be able to hold stuff because withdrawals were setting in so I'd start every morning with a cocktail that would hold me over until after lunch then I'd start shaking again but day was almost over and I'd grab enough alcohol to last until 4am ish and just go home and start methodically working my way through say 2 750s of wine mixed with vodka 🤪
Wine mixed with vodka. omfg 🤣 🤣 🤣 :oops: