Ontopic Affirmative Action. Yay or nay?

thintoast

Mayosapien
Dec 4, 2012
up your butt and around the corner
Marklar
₥10,725
Affirmative action is used in many of the public sectors today so that reports can be created to prove that those public entities are hiring or providing goods/services to a "diverse" group of people. Many say is actually allows for a diverse group, which benefits the institution. Others say it hinders the institution by focusing on hiring a specific group based on race or ethnicity. What do you think?

Personally, I think it hinders the institutions hiring abilities to hire the most qualified people. If you're fully capable of doing the job, it doesn't matter what race or ethnicity you are. If you are focusing your employment opportunities on the black community because they are a lesser population of your employee makeup, you're now creating favoritism towards every other race. Why should a specific race get more exposure to the position than an Asian race, or a white race, or Hispanic? Catering to the "minority" groups is creating the inequality that shouldn't even exist now. If you want to be fair to all races, cater to no one. Make decisions strictly on qualifications and their ability to perform the duties.

I am generally against affirmative action.

In the same breath while racism *shouldn't* exist now, it still does. Even on minor levels it exists in this world and that part sucks royally. So maybe if people weren't such douches and could really be "color blind" we wouldn't have had this in the first place.

Hire the best person for the job.

</thread>

While this is a great idea and I tend to agree with it, right now in the US, all other things being equal, the white guy gets the job. If you have a man and a woman applying for the same job and they have the same exact qualifications and are equally as poised during the interview and have the same amount of knowledge, the man will get the job. Why? The woman might get pregnant.

While this is a great idea and I tend to agree with it, right now in the US, all other things being equal, the white guy gets the job. If you have a man and a woman applying for the same job and they have the same exact qualifications and are equally as poised during the interview and have the same amount of knowledge, the man will get the job. Why? The woman might get pregnant.

The woman. Because boobs are nice to look at. Especially in the IT sector.

• Gravy
Reactions: Peppers
I had a long conversation with a black guy at work about this. I said AA was bullshit, he said it was needed. It went on for several hours over several days. In the end, neither of us changed the other's mind. :lol:

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
I am generally against affirmative action.

In the same breath while racism *shouldn't* exist now, it still does. Even on minor levels it exists in this world and that part sucks royally. So maybe if people weren't such douches and could really be "color blind" we wouldn't have had this in the first place.

Does a black business owner in a white neighborhood need to keep this in mind when they hire?

Maybe I'm an ass for thinking this way, but could it just be that in a predominately Asian community, is it that hard to realize that MOST of your employees are going to be Asian? Or in a predominately white community most of your employees are going to be white? I don't get how this is such a big thing...

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL