Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, for sure

It’s been chilly out but the other tires are fine.

Stopped for lunch after a trip to Lowe’s when it popped up on the display.

Good thing I have a compressor in my truck.

Just irritating.

At least it’s only $125 for a new one if it can’t be patched.

what compressor? 12v? I'm looking at them now but reviews are sketchy and some have difficulty if amperage is off.

what compressor? 12v? I'm looking at them now but reviews are sketchy and some have difficulty if amperage is off.

I bought whatever looked good at PEP boys.

It has a detachable hose that uses standard air compressor hookups. So at least if the hose breaks, it's easily replaced. $35 I think. Has a pressure gauge on it which is a must.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
I bought whatever looked good at PEP boys.

It has a detachable hose that uses standard air compressor hookups. So at least if the hose breaks, it's easily replaced. $35 I think. Has a pressure gauge on it which is a must.
I bought some Bridgestone roadside emergency kits (one for each hooptie) at Costco that come with 12V compressors that are of reasonable quality as well as some of those plug-type tire patches (since I don't carry a spare in the Datsun, and the spare in the 300ZX is too small to fit over my big front brakes).

My friend's dodge caravan from sometime between the mid-naughties to the early 2010s has shat the bed.

Her exact words were, "Basically my gas gauge went down 1/8 tank, a ton of fluid came out of the (exhaust) pipe, and then the hood and the undercarriage started smoking." Apparently this happened with some amount of overheating in its immediate aftermath.

I'm not super familiar with the Dodge V6 lineup, but that sounds to me like one of those over-engineered pressurized surge tank dealie-bobs (that all the manufacturers thought would be a good idea) might have blown up and made the engine cooling system unhappy.

Second opinions?

My friend's dodge caravan from sometime between the mid-naughties to the early 2010s has shat the bed.

Her exact words were, "Basically my gas gauge went down 1/8 tank, a ton of fluid came out of the (exhaust) pipe, and then the hood and the undercarriage started smoking." Apparently this happened with some amount of overheating in its immediate aftermath.

I'm not super familiar with the Dodge V6 lineup, but that sounds to me like one of those over-engineered pressurized surge tank dealie-bobs (that all the manufacturers thought would be a good idea) might have blown up and made the engine cooling system unhappy.

Second opinions?
I cant remember which V6 it is of theirs, or if it's in the Caravan, but one of them had a tendency to just disembowel itself. They were found in the Avenger/Sebring I think

I cant remember which V6 it is of theirs, or if it's in the Caravan, but one of them had a tendency to just disembowel itself. They were found in the Avenger/Sebring I think
This would be the the 2013 Town and Country, which I think came with the Pentastar V6 and the 3.8. She says she thinks it's the 3.8, which would be one of the "this was engineered in 1983, but we're still making it for whatever reason" V6, though.

Edit: according to wiki, the only thing that came in the T&C in 2013 was the Pentastar.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes

Second opinions?

That's a hell of a description.

Would make more sense if her "smoke" was actually steam.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
That's a hell of a description.

Would make more sense if her "smoke" was actually steam.
Yeah, I'm going on the assumption that she really doesn't know how to differentiate between the initial rush of steam and the cooking smoke leftover after a bad coolant leak lands on hot exhaust manifolds.

edit: I'm not going to tell her that I'm making that assumption though, she is one of those "knows everything, girl power" people.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
This would be the the 2013 Town and Country, which I think came with the Pentastar V6 and the 3.8. She says she thinks it's the 3.8, which would be one of the "this was engineered in 1983, but we're still making it for whatever reason" V6, though.

Edit: according to wiki, the only thing that came in the T&C in 2013 was the Pentastar.
From what I remember the 3.8 was fairly reliable. No extreme cases like that. Still, losing a head gasket can hit anything.

The fluid coming out of the exhaust is what concerns me most

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Status
Not open for further replies.