[Contest] 9/11 museum gift shop

In poor taste?

• Yes

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
I can see it from the other side too.

The site is probably the most underutilized site in the united states now. The owners used to make billions. Now they'll sell gift shop items for $20 a pop.

@Casper, did the owner sell? did he collect huge on insurance?

didntfeellikegoogling

I just googled it because I didn't know either. Apparently it's a fractional ownership where the leased fee interest in the land was mostly owned by the port authority of NY and NJ, and there are undisclosed partial interest owners. There were also multiple leasehold owners.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see it from the other side too.

The site is probably the most underutilized site in the united states now. The owners used to make billions. Now they'll sell gift shop items for $20 a pop.

So, I was down in Nassau a few months back outside the Atlantis, taking a look at all the super yachts at the docs... We came across this one,

http://oceanshaker.com/2010/06/11/delta-yachts-launches-superyacht-silver-shalis/

Turns out, the guy who owns it is the guy who owned the WTC. The yacht was his toy he bought after getting the insurance payout...

So, I was down in Nassau a few months back outside the Atlantis, taking a look at all the super yachts at the docs... We came across this one,

http://oceanshaker.com/2010/06/11/delta-yachts-launches-superyacht-silver-shalis/

Turns out, the guy who owns it is the guy who owned the WTC. The yacht was his toy he bought after getting the insurance payout...

I'm sure those owners were plenty rich before 9/11 too. I don't know anything abut the insurance. All I know is that site is incredibly underutilized now. I bet the port authority would be much better off collecting rent off 300+ acres of offices than a gift shop.

I'm sure those owners were plenty rich before 9/11 too. I don't know anything abut the insurance. All I know is that site is incredibly underutilized now. I bet the port authority would be much better off collecting rent off 300+ acres of offices than a gift shop.

I did a lot of digging once I learned who owned the boat because the fucking thing was so god damned opulent...

He made a fucking killing off the post 9/11 payoff.

I did a lot of digging once I learned who owned the boat because the fucking thing was so god damned opulent...

He made a fucking killing off the post 9/11 payoff.

I'm sure it was an equivalent of what he would have got if he sold it before 9/11. Let's say a car crashes into your house tonight and blows up everything. Are you not allowed to use your insurance to move on?

I'm sure it was an equivalent of what he would have got if he sold it before 9/11. Let's say a car crashes into your house tonight and blows up everything. Are you not allowed to use your insurance to move on?

:sigh:

feel free to do the research youself. Quaint anecdotes about those of us mortals who have normal lives don't apply to people like them. It's a curious tale of leasing a property, not buying, leasing, months before a terrorist act destroys it and getting a huge payoff as a result.

It's a curious tale of leasing a property, not buying, leasing, months before a terrorist act destroys it and getting a huge payoff as a result.

but let's remember he didn't get that lease for free. In many cases like that you have to pony up huge sums of cash to begin with, then also have the strength to make the pmnts and manage the property at the same time.

I'm not saying he's over or underpaid from the insurance claim, or that the boat wasn't him saying 'fuck being a landlord.' Just that for him, that's how it worked out.

:sigh:

feel free to do the research youself. Quaint anecdotes about those of us mortals who have normal lives don't apply to people like them. It's a curious tale of leasing a property, not buying, leasing, months before a terrorist act destroys it and getting a huge payoff as a result.

This is not leasing in the sense that you're thinking. Ground lease, not a space lease.