WTF $5/Gallon?

So? Both will explode. Gas will burst explode and may be a bigger explosion then petrol, but once it explodes it's done. Petrol however will explode and spread fuel which will continue to burn for awhile.

There is no logic reason to feel safer with a petrol tank than a gas tank.

Notice I said "splitting hairs". Pressurized gas is always going to be more inherently dangerous, and more like to "go off". If you're inside the blast radius of gas are you really going to care if a fire breaks out after the fact?

Notice I said "splitting hairs". Pressurized gas is always going to be more inherently dangerous, and more like to "go off". If you're inside the blast radius of gas are you really going to care if a fire breaks out after the fact?

more likely to go off? I'd like to see the facts behind that because as far as I know it just as likely to ignite as petrol.

So? Both will explode. Gas will burst explode and may be a bigger explosion then petrol, but once it explodes it's done. Petrol however will explode and spread fuel which will continue to burn for awhile.

There is no logic reason to feel safer with a petrol tank than a gas tank.

No, gasoline will not explode like it does in the movies.

Edit: you and your fucking "petrol"

Last edited:
No, gasoline will not explode like it does in the movies.

Edit: you and your fucking "petrol"

Petrol is short for petroleum, which is the proper name for it.

And yes, petrol will explode in a car's petrol tank. I know from first hand.

Gasoline in liquid form is very hard to ignite. That's why it's possible to flood a car's engine.

Petrol is short for petroleum, which is the proper name for it.

And yes, petrol will explode in a car's petrol tank. I know from first hand.

gasoline is the proper name for it. there's petroleum in the monitor you're looking at but it's not gasoline

and no, it won't. whatever first hand knowledge you want to pretend to have, mythbusters > you

I'm always intrigued when someone tries to suggest that their name is the 'proper' name when it's different around the world.

Petrol was first used as a name for the refined spirit in 1892 when it was registered as a trade name, although it may even have derived from the French. In many countries the name in use derives from benzene or naptha. Gasoline is almost exclusively the name in North America only, which doesn't make it any more the 'proper' name than any other in common use, petrol, benzin, nafta.

Last edited:
Gasoline in liquid form is very hard to ignite. That's why it's possible to flood a car's engine.

and the higher the octane gets the tougher it is to ignite. you can drop a match into a bucket of jet fuel and the match just goes out because jet fuel has a higher flash point than the match.