Ontopic 2020 Eat Your Veggies - GARDEN THREAD

Chickens are dumb, dirty animals. Also, anticipate spending $500+ to get started unless you have awesome stuff just laying around the place for a coop and a run.

I agree - I don't need a run. But I strongly feel my chicken do. I think people who don't provide one are assholes who need to spend a few weeks locked in a closet.
Oh, I see. I wasn't suggesting coop only. You can let them free roam. Ape's parents did it for years. The only reason they had to build a run was because the beagle was eating all the eggs.

Oh, I see. I wasn't suggesting coop only. You can let them free roam. Ape's parents did it for years. The only reason they had to build a run was because the beagle was eating all the eggs.
Two very near roads are aptly named "Coyote Run" and "Eagle Rd.". So no free roaming. I will make a chicken tractor so they can peck up different parts of the field.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
You don't *need* a run. And even if you did, I'm pretty sure both could be built for less than $500.

Did ours completely from scrounged materials save for a couple boxes of screws/staples and a few hardware odds-n-ends.

And it doesn't even look that redneck!

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Two very near roads are aptly named "Coyote Run" and "Eagle Rd.". So no free roaming. I will make a chicken tractor so they can peck up different parts of the field.

Still haven't got any eggs from those 3 new sexlinks we got, which are supposed to be high producers (in exchange for shorter lifespan).

They're the right age they should be laying any day now or maybe should've started already but I figure being 98-105 degrees every damn day probably has something to do with that.

They can sure eat a lot though, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie

Don't her folks have a burro or donkey or something? Those make great watchdogs. As far as predators anyway, maybe not the family beagle.

• Haha
Still haven't got any eggs from those 3 new sexlinks we got, which are supposed to be high producers (in exchange for shorter lifespan).

They're the right age they should be laying any day now or maybe should've started already but I figure being 98-105 degrees every damn day probably has something to do with that.

They can sure eat a lot though, lol.
Whelp, I have a fancy non-layer chicken book. Missus ordered some fancy book of all-things-chicken and in the middle of it the ink peters out, 1/2 page visible, then 1/4, then blank pages for 30+. Da fucq!

• Haha
Reactions: HipHugHer
Whelp, I have a fancy non-layer chicken book. Missus ordered some fancy book of all-things-chicken and in the middle of it the ink peters out, 1/2 page visible, then 1/4, then blank pages for 30+. Da fucq!

www.backyardchickens.com is a good resource. It's a forum but it's pretty open. Don't have a secret squirrel section that keeps all the good info for paying members or anything.
Can get a lot of good info and links to books, articles, ag/bio research papers, etc. without signing up and participating if you don't want to.

• Gravy