08/30/05 News and comment, with elpmis! :) :)

elpmistee.jpg

ChikkenNoodul said:
It cost me $8.38 to fill my bike yesterday :mad:

It was $7.00 last week

I hear the colorado river is a little low...why don't you go fill it up with your tears. :mad:

fly said:
I say the federal government stop providing flood insurance to people.

I would agree with that in terms of people living in places with almost seasonal nasty weather. Like you assholes in Florida. New Orleans gets it about once every 40 years though, so I think it's fair for them.

Lord Flaccid said:
I would agree with that in terms of people living in places with almost seasonal nasty weather. Like you assholes in Florida. New Orleans gets it about once every 40 years though, so I think it's fair for them.
Comparing a state to a city? :confused:

Lord Flaccid said:
Most of Florida isn't below sea level

Lord Flaccid said:
Most of Louisiana doesn't get raped every 10 months by hurricanes, either.
Most of Florida is built to handle Cat3's and under without breaking a sweat. During the last three hurricanes that ripped through there, my parent's house didn't so much as lose a roof shingle. My sister's place didn't even lose power. It's really only a bit worse than the torrents or rain they normally get every damn day during the summer.

New Orleans is man's attempt to make nature do something it doesn't want to and its failing miserably.

theacoustician said:
Most of Florida is built to handle Cat3's and under without breaking a sweat. During the last three hurricanes that ripped through there, my parent's house didn't so much as lose a roof shingle. My sister's place didn't even lose power. It's really only a bit worse than the torrents or rain they normally get every damn day during the summer.

New Orleans is man's attempt to make nature do something it doesn't want to and its failing miserably.

True. The building codes require structures to be able to stand up to at least 130 mph winds.

theacoustician said:
Like Boston :fly:

My office buliding and the entire surrounding area is built over a former salt-marsh/swamp

Most the tunnels and low-lying roads flood whenever we have sustained rain, let alone a hurricane or something...