Ontopic A Thread About Butt Mustard, For Those Who Drive Automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still blows my mind that they don't have power steering.
I don't have power steering in my Datsun. It's not a huge lifestyle change, provided you've got even a little bit of upper body strength.

Having seen the other side of the coin (two power steering racks on my 300ZX), I can't blame them. Long runs of hydraulic hose with consumer-level (at best) connections is a recipe for a dry reservoir and a seized pump in short order.

My 323 and tercel never had power steering. No big deal, as long as you're creeping forward/backward a bit when you steer, it's pretty easy. Above a certain speed it's no more effort, and the road feel is waaay better.

I don't have power steering in my Datsun. It's not a huge lifestyle change, provided you've got even a little bit of upper body strength.

Having seen the other side of the coin (two power steering racks on my 300ZX), I can't blame them. Long runs of hydraulic hose with consumer-level (at best) connections is a recipe for a dry reservoir and a seized pump in short order.

AFAIK the NSX purposely did not have power steering to enhance steering feedback at speed.

AFAIK the NSX purposely did not have power steering to enhance steering feedback at speed.
A power-assisted rack and pinion steering setup isn't going to have any more or less steering feedback at speed than a manual one (just going based on experience).

It is going to save a shitton of unnecessary hydraulic fuckery in a nice light weight car, though.

I know when I disconnect my PS, I get a very different amount of feedback/feel on the freeway. My power steering is electric.

I know when I disconnect my PS, I get a very different amount of feedback/feel on the freeway. My power steering is electric.
I know when I use my (designed to be manual) manual steering rack in my Datsun, it feels much the same as the (designed to be power-assist) power-assisted rack in my 300ZX.

I lost the PS belt in my E30 about 8 months ago. Other than my wife complaining about effort required to turn it's about the same as before.

Specifically this part.

"Electrically assisted power steering (EPS) is the latest technological cross we bear. Replacing hydraulic assist with a computer-controlled electric motor seemed like a reasonable idea when it first surfaced. Someday every car control will be by-wire; today’s EPS looks like a step in that direction. But in the past decade of driving EPS-equipped cars, we’ve found them lacking in feel, poorly tuned, and sometimes simply weird in comparison with the hydraulic-assist setups that have benefited from more than half a century of development."

Where the fuck is the quote option, anyway? @fly

Where it says reply under the post.
Not for quoting other members, but so I could quote from an article or something.

Anyway, from here forward I will just quote someone, delete what they said and use that. Or just type it. The old forum had a button for it.

Not for quoting other members, but so I could quote from an article or something.

Anyway, from here forward I will just quote someone, delete what they said and use that. Or just type it. The old forum had a button for it.
yeah I cant find the bold and stuff but markup still works you have to type it

It's one of the icons in the reply window... It will drop down with several options.

Status
Not open for further replies.