Ontopic What's your basic level of a "good deed"

This is where I am perplexed

Without sounding like a dick I kind of feeling like with my job I probably do good shit all day long seeing as helping people is my jerb. Kind of seems a bit more than holding a door open for someone.
but is it a good deed if you get paid for it?

This is where I am perplexed

Without sounding like a dick I kind of feeling like with my job I probably do good shit all day long seeing as helping people is my jerb. Kind of seems a bit more than holding a door open for someone.
Grey area? Depends on why you went into the field, maybe?

Grey area? Depends on why you went into the field, maybe?
By accident and because I seem to be good at it. Incidentally I seem to be helping folk which is nice.

Maybe good deeds are anything over and above what you HAVE to do in life for other people? The IT guy at work this week sat with me for two hours to sort stuff out rather than handing me off to a phone support line, that was a good deed on his part, I appreciated someone going out their way to help me out.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Also from my vague memories of my Buddhist teachings the intent isn't really the defining factor. Almost if not every good deed is done from a place of ego and selfishness so if we want to class it by intent then we don't do anything selflessly or good. Practicing generosity and trying consciously not to fill the ego by doing so is good but difficult.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
That's for your ego.

Why do many posts seem to equate good with money? To me that's the most basic and useless human interaction or transaction for a multitude of reasons.

I mostly give big tips when im traveling on per diem, and the money goes away if its not spent. So why not make a waiter making 2.75 an hour a little happier at the end of their shift with a 30 dollar tip.

Also from my vague memories of my Buddhist teachings the intent isn't really the defining factor. Almost if not every good deed is done from a place of ego and selfishness so if we want to class it by intent then we don't do anything selflessly or good. Practicing generosity and trying consciously not to fill the ego by doing so is good but difficult.

If you're digging down into it, any altruism is genetically programmed into us. Then you're back to nature nurture though

I mostly give big tips when im traveling on per diem, and the money goes away if its not spent. So why not make a waiter making 2.75 an hour a little happier at the end of their shift with a 30 dollar tip.
I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying giving money is to feed your ego generally speaking. It might have the effect of many others smile but it's not a pure act. And again I don't equate money with good deeds, there are much more valuable things than money

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
Because so many people don't have it. If you do and you can share it, it's goodness to do so.
Most people do have money, it's kind of arrogant to assume otherwise. If you were being selfless you wouldn't be giving your money to waiters, you'd be researching the most efficient and worthy charities and donating to them to help the most vulnerable. Give money to waiters it whoever else you want, but there's no point pretending giving money away isn't to feed the ego. If it didn't make you feel like you were a good person (ie if it didn't feed ego) then almost nobody would do anything kind.

Most people do have money, it's kind of arrogant to assume otherwise. If you were being selfless you wouldn't be giving your money to waiters, you'd be researching the most efficient and worthy charities and donating to them to help the most vulnerable. Give money to waiters it whoever else you want, but there's no point pretending giving money away isn't to feed the ego. If it didn't make you feel like you were a good person (ie if it didn't feed ego) then almost nobody would do anything kind.

Tipping is huge here, not a fan of the whole scheme, but ahh well.

giving money to help a good deed, like a good deed catalyst, not a deed itself.
the last truly good deed must have been in school or something, like giving a kid half a sandwich or something, everything after that feels calculated