What OS do you guys use?

Look for "Tiny XP" it's very streamlined for gaming.

I run Ubutu, Mac OSX and XP Pro.

Ubuntu 6.06 on my laptop (700mhz)
Mac OSX for 95% of the time at work. My other work computer is a dual-boot XP/Ubuntu box. (Synergy2 ftw)
XP Pro on my desktop (rarely use anymore)

If you're hardcare, you'd just use Linux.

I'm not that hardcore, although I do have Linux installed as a second OS-comes in handy when trying to figure out if my comp's latest tantrum is software or hardware related. Mostly I use Win2K and I'm not planning to 'upgrade' anytime soon.

that was my thinking too.. It took me 3 years to move from 2000 to XP.

ditto. no point switching to Vista until they've released at least one service pack. although i'm seriously considering making the switch to at least dual booting ubuntu and xp pro. (i need to keep a windows os for autocad)

Linux can be a perfectly capable desktop for many applications. Sadly, gaming is not one of them.

Gaming isn't one of my concerns, but when I find a decent Linux version or substitute for apps like Poser and Bryce-Gimp already exists for Photoshop, suppose I could learn to use it if push came to shove-then I will consider switching over to Linux full-time.

Nah, I think if you're really hardcore you would still run the Amiga OS. :D

Sadly.... I seriously hate that I missed out on all the amiga fun back in the day. That was a slick computer.

I saw that and was very curious to try it out.

I miss BeOS. I'm not brave enough to try its new relative though (Zeta). Just doesn't have a ton of software support.

I saw that and was very curious to try it out.

I miss BeOS. I'm not brave enough to try its new relative though (Zeta). Just doesn't have a ton of software support.

If you do look into it and find some hardware on the cheapish side, let me know. :)

And I never had much interest in BeOS. Not sure why.