What is Hip Hop?

Anyone have any Lindsay Lohan coot shots?

lohan-snaatch.jpg

billboard.com is run by the record companies who only promote the crappy club shit so forced upon the masses.

They are not the end all of what true hip hop is. it's like saying White snake is rock music.

White snake is rock music. Whats out nowdays isn't "rock" .. it's pop rock (teenie bopper) and alternative.

If the record companies aren't what determines what genre your music is labled under ..exactly who is supposed to do that then? I mean .. the record companies do pay for the music, don't they? Seems like it would be their explicit choice what genre you get stuck under as a musician.

Eminem is also Hip Hop. Hip Hop is nothing more than a bunch of wanna be rappers who put pop rock beats to their lyrics .. so that clubs will play them for drunk people to dance to. That is their main goal .. to be played the most in clubs. You get played a lot in clubs, people remember you and buy your cd's. The radio really has no bearing on anything these days .. most people don't listen to it enough for it to make a difference.

White snake is rock music. Whats out nowdays isn't "rock" .. it's pop rock (teenie bopper) and alternative.

If the record companies aren't what determines what genre your music is labled under ..exactly who is supposed to do that then? I mean .. the record companies do pay for the music, don't they? Seems like it would be their explicit choice what genre you get stuck under as a musician.

Eminem is also Hip Hop. Hip Hop is nothing more than a bunch of wanna be rappers who put pop rock beats to their lyrics .. so that clubs will play them for drunk people to dance to. That is their main goal .. to be played the most in clubs. You get played a lot in clubs, people remember you and buy your cd's. The radio really has no bearing on anything these days .. most people don't listen to it enough for it to make a difference.

:fly: :fly: :fly: :fly: :fly: :fly: :fly: :fly: :fly: :fly: :fly: :fly:

there is bad and good hip hop just like there is bad and good ____________ (fill in your genre of choice)

I agree with an earlier post that I'm not sure if what's on the radio and what is being popularized right now is good for black people in America. I've seen it stated that the record companies, usually old white men, feed that drivel to the masses to "keep them down". Make them wanna spend money on bling instead of 401K's and real estate, thus infringing on their own portfolios.

I, too, hate that "lean with it rock with it two step with it" shit. I PLAY it because that's what people wanna hear. I mean, I could play all The Roots, or old Black Eyed Peas, or Public Enemy.

but I wouldn't keep my jobs very long.

It irks me that the genre I love, the culture I've gravitated to, has been diminished.

there is bad and good hip hop just like there is bad and good ____________ (fill in your genre of choice)

I agree with an earlier post that I'm not sure if what's on the radio and what is being popularized right now is good for black people in America. I've seen it stated that the record companies, usually old white men, feed that drivel to the masses to "keep them down". Make them wanna spend money on bling instead of 401K's and real estate, thus infringing on their own portfolios.

I, too, hate that "lean with it rock with it two step with it" shit. I PLAY it because that's what people wanna hear. I mean, I could play all The Roots, or old Black Eyed Peas, or Public Enemy.

but I wouldn't keep my jobs very long.

It irks me that the genre I love, the culture I've gravitated to, has been diminished.

4 words for you buddy...

"Eating Wings at Hooters"

I think the difference between closed-minded and open-minded is the difference between "that music sucks and no one should listen to it" and "that music sucks but i don't care if other people like it". chacun a son goût.

another important difference is not thinking less of someone because of their tastes. disagree, but don't hate.

Last edited:
I dunno what hip-hop is to others. I don't listen to much of it, unless you consider the Beastie Boys hip-hop, or RATM, or (hed) p.e. cuz there are songs by those artists that have hip-hop influences. That's as close to hip-hop I like.

Hip-hop is not a style of music, it's a lifestyle. It's a culture. Rap just happens to be the music of choice in that culture. Hip-hop envelops a wide range of things besides music. It includes fashion, attitude, mindset etc.

Basically you don't LISTEN to hip-hop....you LIVE it.