vroom

My dad had an oldsmobile 4 door (whatever that model was), blue. It was a tank. <3 old 80s vehicles, all steel construction.
Then my parents bought a Plymouth Minivan, my mom mainly used it to boat us around to doctors, sports, etc.

After the Olds, my dad bought a Lincoln Continental. What a piece of shit it was. Constantly breaking down. It has a "computerized" dash board with all electronic doodads that never worked properly. For instance, a door sensor constantly saying "a door is ajar".. nooooooo a door is a door.

Then they got rid of the Minivan and got a big ol' Ford Econoline 250 Conversion van. It was sweet. Four big, comfy captains chairs, tv/vcr, table, back seat that folded down into a mini bed. Great for family vacations driving from NJ to ME. Made the trip somewhat civil between my two older bros and I, if we could watch tv or movies or play Nintendo instead of getting on each others nerves.

That was basically it till high school. My mom got rid of the van and got a Ford Explorer. Dad got rid of the Lincoln, got a Ford Taurus. Kept it for few years. Then got a Volvo S60 (I think) when he remarried. That got totaled by his wife when she got rear ended. I hear they upgraded to a Lexus, but I dunno.

Edit: Goes to show you how popular those Minivans had. Almost everyone in the thread mentioned one. Times have changed. No more minivans, it's the SUV to tote the kids around.

Last edited:
My mom drove this:

picture.php

My dad drove this:

picture.php

Later, mom got a blazer, dad got an F150 he used for work. We kept the stang for a while though. Then mom got this only in blue, It was a pretty cool car actually:

picture.php

Dad drove a variety of company cars like a Taurus wagon, some SUV's and some trucks.

Overall though, we had pretty decent vehicles.

I think it's kinda funny to think that my sister and I used to ride around in the back seat of a convertible with nothing remotely like the car safety seats of today and we managed to survive somehow. My parents both drove like maniacs too.

my parents had minivans until three years ago, which is when we bought their last one for ourselves. :fly: i love my minivan.

i want a green jag there i said it.

I know they are pretty and kinda cool. They also drive like a dream. However, my mom had one for 4 years and had to have the transmission replaced twice (at $11K a pop, fortunately covered under warranty), the gas filler cover fell off after a month or so, the signal lights kept filling up with water, and some of the trim fell off. Overall, it was a pain.

I know they are pretty and kinda cool. They also drive like a dream. However, my mom had one for 4 years and had to have the transmission replaced twice (at $11K a pop, fortunately covered under warranty), the gas filler cover fell off after a month or so, the signal lights kept filling up with water, and some of the trim fell off. Overall, it was a pain.

Depends on the year with those.

After the Olds, my dad bought a Lincoln Continental. What a piece of shit it was. Constantly breaking down. It has a "computerized" dash board with all electronic doodads that never worked properly. For instance, a door sensor constantly saying "a door is ajar".. nooooooo a door is a door.
:lol:

My mom's New Yorker was one of those talking cars, said the same thing.

The only car I really remember was an old VW Rabbit my dad had, and when parts of the body would rust out hed cut that part off and use pop-rivets to patch in a piece of sheet metal, then paint it to match. It had about 5 patches on it last I remember.

I saw a bit on a company over in England that takes those and makes them essentially showroom condition again, with some modern improvements to things like the AC unit and electronics :drool:

I think he did a lot of it up himself - but ended up selling it anyway. I don't think they became really popular until a few years later. It's his only life regret.

He should have mothballed it and gave it to me..