Use Google's chat client before its officially released

theacoustician

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
Marklar
₥0
Can't get the actual chat client yet, but you can use Google's servers right now. Instructions below, I'm online via my gmail account if anyone wants to test their setup.

Google Talk = Google's new IM service that they're announcing tomorrow.

All you need is a Jabber-compatible Instant Messaging client (such as Apple's iChat, or GAIM), and a GMail address.

Server: talk.google.com
Username: [email protected] **OR** [email protected] (pick one)
Password: yourpassword

Note: If you can't login, try to turn off 'Secure Messaging' or 'Encryption'... etc.

-- TRILLIAN USERS: Someone just told me that they got it working with Trillian, but I can't verify this. Just go to Trillian's plugin page on their site and download the Jabber plug-in, install it, and configure a new connection as below:
"server : talk.google.com
port : 5222
Use legact SSL for connection : not checked"

How to set it up with GAIM on Windows/Linux, or Adium on the Mac:
-- For iChat, just enter the information above.
1. Add an account, select "Jabber" as the protocol.
2. Your screen name is everything before the '@gmail.com'.
3. Server is 'talk.google.com' as listed above.
4. Click "show more options" and make sure "use TLS if available" is checked. Leave "Force old SSL" and "allow plaintext..." unchecked for now. Connection port should be 5222, connection server should be blank... if not just 'talk.google.com' without the quotes.
5. Ta-da! Just login and you should be good-to-go.

Another user reports the following:
"weird, I've never sent you email from my gmail, and now that you're on my buddy list on google talk, it autofilled your email address, and alias on my gmail"
-- The "/me" command works too, even on iChat. "/me says hi" translates to "smash says hi" or whatever if you're not familiar!

Feel free to IM around with fellow GMail users just by adding their addresses to your list! I'm not sure how long this is going to work, but let's make the best of it.

In order to get it to work with jabber on trillian under the acocount settings, you have to type in your email address. I've got it logged in now, but have no one to test it with. Looking forward to the offical release tomorrow.

djduquet said:
In order to get it to work with jabber on trillian under the acocount settings, you have to type in your email address. I've got it logged in now, but have no one to test it with. Looking forward to the offical release tomorrow.

Me either. Knyte is the really the only other person I know (besides intranet people) that uses gmail, and he hasn't done anything with it yet.

gmail said:
[23:15] gmail.com: The broken link has been fixed. Thanks for being our first users!

I just got this from gmail. So it sure does work. this is cool, being in on the ground floor and all.

djduquet said:

i dont have pro so i cant use the plugin. otherwise i'd help you out.

thrawn said:
i dont have pro so i cant use the plugin. otherwise i'd help you out.
It's only 25 bucks! It's totally worth it. Mostly it's just seeing 'pro' when you log on, that makes me happy. The other advantages that I love are the buddy icons and the extra plugins that you can use. I thought that those wouldn't get much wear and tear, but i was wrong.

djduquet said:
It's only 25 bucks! It's totally worth it. Mostly it's just seeing 'pro' when you log on, that makes me happy. The other advantages that I love are the buddy icons and the extra plugins that you can use. I thought that those wouldn't get much wear and tear, but i was wrong.

while it might give me a warm, fuzzy feeling to see PRO everytime i log in, i havent had a need to buy this version. that is, unless google comes out with a chat client that requires the jabber plugin.

i paid for the second version after theifing it for the longest time. too lazy to buy the current one.

How is Google chat suppose to be any better than the other ones? Especially if you don't use a client from them? Seems like it would just be a standard jabber server then.

And supposedly Gmail is coming off Beta today as well and will be open registration. Not that everyone who wants a Gmail account doesn't already have one, but interesting...

b_sinning said:
So they are pushing the audio part of it? Like an alternative to long distance fees? Not a bad idea if the delay and quality is decent.
I doubt it. I'd believe that it would just be a perk. Now when there are other clients such as team speak and skype that do a better job with a better GUI. My guess is an alt to AIM and the respective client bloatware that is associated with AIM and Yahoo (and now MSN).

www.skype.com

With clean multichat clients like Gaim or Trillian a new chat service with a clean client isn't hardly worth the bother of most people switching over to use. Maybe if everyone had a gmail account but those have been inviation only up now.

b_sinning said:
With clean multichat clients like Gaim or Trillian a new chat service with a clean client isn't hardly worth the bother of most people switching over to use. Maybe if everyone had a gmail account but those have been inviation only up now.
You could get them free a few months ago. I grabbed another two of other internet aliases, what are you talking about?