Thread US Economy Making A Turn For THe Better?

STIMULUS PHAIL.

"I'm disappointed that we've only created or retained 55 jobs after receiving $111 million," says Wendy Greuel, the Los Angeles City controller, while releasing an audit report.

"With our local unemployment rate over 12% we need to do a better job cutting red tape and putting Angelenos back to work,” she added.​

go ahead and break out your abacus.

11,000,000 ÷ 55 jobs =

you guessed it, $200,000 per job!!!!!

how many of those people do you think actually got $200,000, or did your beloved gov't spend 75% trying to decide who gets what.

ffs.

The audit doesn't tell us much of anything. I'm curious to know (and forgo speculation) where the money actually went. I think we can agree it cannot not all be in salary and job retention. The auditor comments that the agencies did not seek out bids in a timely or economically efficient manner and that's why the job retention wasn't stronger. I guess my question is, is the cash still on the books at the two agencies, or are those agencies hemorrhaging money?

And this shit right here stinks vile.
A spokeswoman for Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa referred questions to City Administrative Officer Miguel Santana, the top budget official. Santana would not comment on the audit but offered a newer set of figures for stimulus spending citywide, which were sharply different from Greuel's.

Santana's report said that in June, stimulus dollars helped the city create or retain 936 jobs. "And we've only spent 13% of what we've received," he said.

Greuel said in response that she spoke with Santana on Thursday and that he did not disagree with the data contained in her audit.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-stimulus-audit-20100917,0,3706864.story

of $111,000,000 ??????????

those fuckers.

That's how I read it too, but it's kind of ambiguous. Where is the rest of the money? Are the agencies just camping on it? That would be fucked up because, whether or not we agree with the merits of the Stimulus bill, money given to government and not used doesn't stimulate shit. That's just like stuffing money into a pillowcase.

That's how I read it too, but it's kind of ambiguous. Where is the rest of the money? Are the agencies just camping on it? That would be fucked up because, whether or not we agree with the merits of the Stimulus bill, money given to government and not used doesn't stimulate shit. That's just like stuffing money into a pillowcase.
I doubt they're camping on it, whenever something is funded (Which despite how ludicrously easy it seems listening to the news, it isn't, but that's a different topic) it's usually spent instantly. At least according to my counterparts I've met that work for state and federal agencies.

Oh man, the IT spending horror stories I've heard :dont:

I doubt they're camping on it, whenever something is funded (Which despite how ludicrously easy it seems listening to the news, it isn't, but that's a different topic) it's usually spent instantly. At least according to my counterparts I've met that work for state and federal agencies.

Oh man, the IT spending horror stories I've heard :dont:
I appreciate the anecdotal response, but I'm genuinely curious where the money is going. I'm not satisfied to just throw my hands up in the air and say "WELL THAT'S GOVERNMENT FOR YA!"

The ARRA passed. We've already appropriated the money so forgive me for thinking we should use it the way it was intended. Clearly those two agencies are not functioning as they are supposed to. News sources are inferring that the money just up and vanished. Money doesn't just disappear. So what the fuck?

I didn't mean to really direct my response at you, but more at the story in general.

You're good. Beer up.