tripping

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
when do you do it? when SHOULD you do it? when should you NOT? how much?

AAA just came out to fix my flat. i pay for the service every year and rarely use it (though i'm so glad i have it when i need it.) the guy was great, put the spare on...but i didn't tip, and now i feel weird. so should i have tipped? :eek: and if so, how much???

I tip waitresses, and Masseuses. That's about it.

Do you pick them up afterwards or leave them on the floor?

*rimshot*

I give around 15%. I adjust given the circumstances. (i.e. going out to a restaurant on Valentine's Day or a day it's swamped, I tip more - or when there's a blizzard or huge snowstorm/rainstorm, I'm normally going to give around a 100% tip.)

I also tip drivers.

there are tip buckets EVERYWHERE, which irritate me. and it's because i don't know if it's a thing like it is a sit-down restaurant where the servers make their money from tips. or if they're just being greedy. c'mon...a starbucks? a zaxby's? why am i tipping you? you are doing your job.

hairdressers? i'm paying you for a service. you do it. the end. right? (i tip mine anyway. :eek:)
taxi drivers?
AAA PEOPLE???
i used to subscribe to the sunday-only newspaper. come christmas, there'd be a postcard-sized, handwritten note with deliverer's name and address. am i really supposed to tip them?

i'm really bothered by this because i want to KNOW when i HAVE to tip and when tipping's a rarity and not expected.

AAA just came out to fix my flat. i pay for the service every year and rarely use it (though i'm so glad i have it when i need it.) the guy was great, put the spare on...but i didn't tip, and now i feel weird. so should i have tipped? :eek: and if so, how much???
tipping is tricky in that kind of situation. you probably didn't see a bill for the job since it's covered by AAA. i'd say if you want to tip there a safe minimum is $5, since everyone loves a fiver and with no bill there can be no "only 10%" stinginess associated with your choice of value.

on the other hand, he's probably getting paid decently for the trip regardless of any tip. servers, otoh, only make something like $2 per hour in wages and rely on their tips. so not tipping the tire changing guy isn't really going to kill him.

i'd say it's a case of tip only required if service really goes above and beyond.

i tip the guy who cuts my hair because i always make appointments at the last minute and he always make time for me, except that one time when he wasn't working that day so his wife did my hair instead. also, he doesn't spend too much time trying to engage me in idle chatter, which is refreshing.

No tipping the AAA man.

On a side note, I learned something about AAA the last time I broke down. You call AAA and request a tow. They call the local tow company. The local tow company puts all AAA calls at the bottom of the list. They can charge customers whatever their rate is to tow them but AAA only gives them $25 per trouble call. AAA goes to the bottom of the list because the tow company loses money on most AAA calls but, they have to keep AAA as a service because of who AAA is. A tow company that doesn't accept AAA is almost blacklisted.

I feel like I need to tip everyone that helps me. I never have cash on me tho.

this is me. and if i had money and had it on me, i wouldn't really have a problem fiving someone. but i can't just tip everyone i like, or i'd tip everyone all the time. this is why i need boundaries so i don't feel bad. i need to know when it's rude/offensive NOT to tip. not because i don't want to...because i just can't. :(

i need to not like everyone all the time. :rant:

No tipping the AAA man.

On a side note, I learned something about AAA the last time I broke down. You call AAA and request a tow. They call the local tow company. The local tow company puts all AAA calls at the bottom of the list. They can charge customers whatever their rate is to tow them but AAA only gives them $25 per trouble call. AAA goes to the bottom of the list because the tow company loses money on most AAA calls but, they have to keep AAA as a service because of who AAA is. A tow company that doesn't accept AAA is almost blacklisted.

lawls. that sucks ass.

duh, where else would you put it?

I was thinking one of these "fivers"

fist4ha3.jpg

My view is, unless your wage is reduced because of tip expectations, don't expect one from me.

Waiters/waitresses always get tipped, and usually 20% unless they suck ass. Remains of my days waiting tables and bartending back in college.

Hair care too. They really don't get a wage, per se. They pay an pretty hefty seat fee for their stalls wherever they work, so tips = pretty much most of their income.
I always tip my girl 20-30%. It doesn't hurt that she's asian. ;)

Taxi's, 10%. They have to pay for their vehicle, and an association fee for getting calls routed to them.

Pizza guys - fuck those no talent college dropout perma stoned fuckwits. They always forget something. I do not order pizza anymore because pizza delivery guys suck fucking balls.

I wouldn't have tipped.

there are tip buckets EVERYWHERE, which irritate me. and it's because i don't know if it's a thing like it is a sit-down restaurant where the servers make their money from tips. or if they're just being greedy. c'mon...a starbucks? a zaxby's? why am i tipping you? you are doing your job.

hairdressers? i'm paying you for a service. you do it. the end. right? (i tip mine anyway. :eek:)
taxi drivers?
AAA PEOPLE???
i used to subscribe to the sunday-only newspaper. come christmas, there'd be a postcard-sized, handwritten note with deliverer's name and address. am i really supposed to tip them?

i'm really bothered by this because i want to KNOW when i HAVE to tip and when tipping's a rarity and not expected.

I tip my hairdresser 20 bucks, because shes awesome.