Food Tre's kitchen, episode one: Making Bacon (lotsa pics) - NO APRILS ALLOWED

GET A SMOKER SO YOU CAN MAKE THINGS LIKE THIS

inaw6.jpg

That's 2 pounds of lean ground pork, 1/2 pound of fried bacon, fried apples/onions, sauce and other stuff wrapped in woven bacon and smoked for 4 hours. We called it the bacon torpedo.

oh ya, i also smoked some cheese. Gouda - turned out great. Gonna try some salmon soon.

Holy crap that's amazing. The EpicMealTime guys are in Canadia. Do you know them? If not, they should know you.

edit: And how often do you use your smoker and what's its cost. I think I'd like one, but Im concerned that I wouldn't use it.
We have a smoker, use it roughly once a month. Depending on the size of the chunk of meat you toss in there, you can make that last for a couple weeks.

We make a good pork butt.

Smoking meat is also highly addictive. I got my smoker as a gift to myself when I quit the other type of smoking. Ther'e lots of cool mods and stuff you can do to the Bradley's as well, like putting in dual burners for heat retention, and using a PID, basically to be able to automatically control the smoker temp to within a couple degrees, it's pretty neat.

Also, for April's sake, I did smoke a whole turkey breast for thanksgiving (which is in october here)

I should also note that making homemade bacon is in no way cheaper than buying bacon. It's probably more expensive once you add in the smoker cost and the wood cost. It's just a fun project, and I like doing fun food stuffs.

It does produce some pretty bad-ass bacon though.

Smoking meat is also highly addictive. I got my smoker as a gift to myself when I quit the other type of smoking. Ther'e lots of cool mods and stuff you can do to the Bradley's as well, like putting in dual burners for heat retention, and using a PID, basically to be able to automatically control the smoker temp to within a couple degrees, it's pretty neat.
My dad bought a big green egg this past summer and went through about 250 pounds of charcoal. He's smoking a turkey breast for Thanksgiving. We made bread in it, pizza, smoked fish and ribs. Good times. I want one now.