Ontopic Thoughts on the US doing a terrorism prisoner exchange for a US POW

Do you think they made the right now

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Also, those 5 assholes we just released are about to provide us a wealth of intelligence data when they go right back to their old terroristy ways. You'd better believe each one of them is going to have a dedicated op team on them 24 7

price was too high for one dude that didn't like America anyway. bad to show our hand and weakness. now the Taliban/other terrorists know that prisoners have some value

price was too high for one dude that didn't like America anyway. bad to show our hand and weakness. now the Taliban/other terrorists know that prisoners have some value

it seems like a high price. But this dude was just a normal grunt, he wasnt part of any group that understands that if you get caught, we will not come after you (cia, certain dea elements, etc). Even if he was awol, or something else, he's still an american. We protect our own, citizen or soldier, and its good to have him home.

The cost is an entirely different argument, independent of whether this man should be protected by his government.

Those guys lives as terrorists are done. Theyre likely broken, and as mentioned, wont be able to scratch a flea on their ass without us knowing about it.

Its like like we just let them go and decided to close our eyes while they run around bombing stuff.

They try any of their old stupid ways, the last thing theyre hear (or wont hear) is the vague hum of a drone in the distance.

What if it cost 500 American lives to 'protect' him. Is that worth it? I'm not sure you can separate the two.

If he was AWOL, or worse, the lives of the men sent to try to save him, are on his head. But that has nothing to do with this trade, that the earlier missions. People do dumb things sometimes.

Assuming the worst case scenario (awol, or deserted), that puts him on par with a dumb tourist who decided it would be fun to vacation in talibanland.

Would you write off that tourist too?

Or perhaps an american sea captain who made a poor decision to venture outside a sea captain on the horn of africa?

people, soldiers or not, make stupid decisions sometimes. It doesnt invalidate their citizenship

I like to go out on my patio at night, look up at the stars, satellites, and planets, and ponder the scope of the universe and its many wonders. I take it all in, wonder how many of the seemingly infinite number of worlds out there are home to incredible new flora and fauna, and imagine what the civilizations of other sentient beings look like. I take a sip of rum and coke, toke on a cigar, and regret not being born a couple thousand years in the future. I regret that I will never experience any of it. That simple thought is the foundation for most of the disappointment in my life. I will never sate the incredible curiosity and wanderlust that dwells within me on a scale that will have any meaning. After maybe an hour of this silent reflection, I stamp out the dying embers of my cigar and flick the butt over the back fence. My perspective on life having been thusly realigned, I go back inside where I don't bother with the tv.

Also, those 5 assholes we just released are about to provide us a wealth of intelligence data when they go right back to their old terroristy ways. You'd better believe each one of them is going to have a dedicated op team on them 24 7

I would be surprised if it least one of them hasn't been turned. Maybe not as a completely reliable asset but enough that it benefits us more to have him out than in cuba.

I regret that I will never experience any of it.

maybe. my single financial goal in life is to save enough to upload my brain into a synthetic body when they become available so I can live for hundreds of years

I don't want to live forever but I need to live long enough that I can choose to

it's taken nearly two years of negotiations to get this agreement made. that's another reason I don't buy the fear mongering about this leading to other organizations trying to kidnap americans. the taliban is not al queda, they've been to the white house before. while they're no longer a legitimate legal authority in this country they still know how to negotiate like one. if some little aq cell in paris decides to take a vacationing couple hostage thinking this is a good sign for them the only thing they'll get is a seal team up their buttholes.

the withdrawal was publicly known since at least the state of the union, the recent announcement was merely that we're going to keep a certain number in theater

as for the visit, I apparently just missed getting to see air force one land, that would have been pretty cool
Yeah Im not really worried about the whole prisoner swap thing. We swapped prisoners with the Viet Cong during Vietnam even though they werent a legitimate government. Israel swaps palestinian prisoners all the time.

it's taken nearly two years of negotiations to get this agreement made. that's another reason I don't buy the fear mongering about this leading to other organizations trying to kidnap americans. the taliban is not al queda, they've been to the white house before. while they're no longer a legitimate legal authority in this country they still know how to negotiate like one. if some little aq cell in paris decides to take a vacationing couple hostage thinking this is a good sign for them the only thing they'll get is a seal team up their buttholes.

the withdrawal was publicly known since at least the state of the union, the recent announcement was merely that we're going to keep a certain number in theater

as for the visit, I apparently just missed getting to see air force one land, that would have been pretty cool

Seals going good in to Paris over a couple of tourists. :lol: sounds like a good B grade movie.

don't tell anyone because it's classified but in reality it would be a team of sea lions and otters (for demolition support, of course)

I'm sure they'd be so very scared of that threat because they haven't been fighting a war against us for the past thirteen years nor come from a culture that's been fighting wars for a thousand years before ours existed

this wasn't about getting bergdahl back, it was about getting all of the juicy intel those five guys will - intentionally or otherwise - be providing

I'm sure they'd be so very scared of that threat because they haven't been fighting a war against us for the past thirteen years nor come from a culture that's been fighting wars for a thousand years before ours existed

this wasn't about getting bergdahl back, it was about getting all of the juicy intel those five guys will - intentionally or otherwise - be providing
exactly this

Other platoon members said that Sergeant Bergdahl wrote Jason Bourne-type novels in which he inserted himself as the lead character.

motherfucker wrote self-insert Jason bourne fanfic, I love it